Car Service rip off - be warned

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted

Yesterday i sent my driver with my vehicle to the main dealer, not fair to name them, for it's 40Kkm service. 

I gave written instructions not to add any items without my approval, I then get the invoice emailed to me with 2 items i knew where not required:

- Diesel Engine Cleaner Flush

- Engine Decarbinisation

So I went to see them to be told "we have already done the work", so once I had told them categorically that (a) it wasn't required and (b) I hadn't authorized it, the bill was reduced from P22K to P15K. 

If in doubt check with the manufacturer and ask if it is part of their scheduled maintenance. 

• Like 2

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Isn't that the reason the dealer recommends regularly scheduled maintenance in the first place.  To get you in his shop so he can up sell unnecessary but highly profitable tasks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

You shouldn't need to check with the manufacturer. Scheduled maintenance should be described in detail in the owner's manual.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

You shouldn't need to check with the manufacturer. Scheduled maintenance should be described in detail in the owner's manual.

Yes, and you might find that engine flushes are specifically NOT recommended by some manufacturers and manual.

Dealer maintenance schedules in the Philippines are a huge ripoff to the people of the Philippines.  They would be sued in the U.S. and have to change the practices.

For instance, on a Chevy Colorado or Trailblazer 2.8 Duramax Diesel in the Philippines, replacement of the timing belt is required at 60,000 km or it will no longer be under warranty.  That is ridiculously low for a modern vehicle and can only have one intent:  make money for the dealers or void warranties.  They sell the Colorado in the U.S. with the same engine.  Recommended timing belt replacement, 240,000 km!

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, LUFCinMakati said:

Yesterday i sent my driver with my vehicle to the main dealer,

1st mistake, always go yourself.  you know it makes sense 1.jpg :console:

• Like 1

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

1st mistake, always go yourself.  you know it makes sense 1.jpg :console:

Yes when I paid the bill, driver not at fault.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It is the same in the United States. The dealers of a famous German brand rip you off. One dealer charged $105 for an oil change. For the next one, identical service, it was $285. Another, during routine maintenance, changed the fan belt claiming it was showing wear & tear. That was $350. You can't dispute it because the service was already performed. 

The manufacturer's warranty requires that all services be performed by an authorized dealer. As soon as the warranty period was over, we found a shop owned by a Latvian family whose expertise is European vehicles. The charges are reasonable in comparison.  Most important is the trust they establish with their customers.  I once drove 800 miles so they could look for a small oil leak. It turned out the oil filter wasn't sufficiently tight. The service was performed free of charge. Someone else might claim they would have to take apart the engine.

• Like 2

Rooster
Posted
Posted

Cost at Dealer for Parts are a huge rip off as well. The dealer wanted 7,000 Pesos for a replacement remote.

One can buy 10 remotes for $28.95 on Amazon.  I bought 2 while I was in the states from Amazon for $8 and both work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PBK7XM/ref=sxts_kp_tr_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=8778bc68-27e7-403f-8460-de48b6e788fb&pd_rd_wg=kSxw2&pf_rd_r=G7B811ZGTKH3E9XTKJ7T&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B074PBK7XM&pd_rd_w=YwnKU&pf_rd_i=ford+remote&pd_rd_r=7d9e43d6-6fba-4b3a-ab19-c8de7ad413c8&ie=UTF8&qid=1537049366&sr=2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, JJReyes said:

You can't dispute it because the service was already performed. 

Yes you can (at least in the UK) unauthorised work is not chargeable.

robert k
Posted
Posted

By and large I agree that it's a dealer scam. Yes, stop and go kilometers are harder than steady speed driving but it falls short of the severe conditions servicing the dealer wants me to pay for...except were I to weekly drive to Caramoan from Pili. At that point, 5k km service might be a good idea. I know the engine is completely broken in and I'm sure I will find out where the squeak that started since the trip to Caramoan came from.