Shipping (Again)

Bill Johnson
Posted
Posted

Hi All, looking into moving to PH with my wife (Pinay). Currently live in the UK but want to get over there. My question is about importing, motorbikes, construction tools (cement mixers, power tools, petrol jet washes/generators etc). Whats the deal with moving back with all this kind of stuff ? Any advice would be grateful received.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Bill Johnson said:

Hi All, looking into moving to PH with my wife (Pinay). Currently live in the UK but want to get over there. My question is about importing, motorbikes, construction tools (cement mixers, power tools, petrol jet washes/generators etc). Whats the deal with moving back with all this kind of stuff ? Any advice would be grateful received.

Bill have you done a check on all the material you want to bring against what you could buy it for in the PI's. Do a google search on prices from hardware stores in the PI's, then weigh up the odds about whether it is worth the hassle about shipping. Some of the items may attract an import duty and that is another headache. All the items you have mentioned are readily available over there and filter through what it costs against costs of shipping, then have a garage sale back home. Somethings are keepsakes, but be realistic when doing your costings.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681: yourself, you'll have plenty of advice on this topic. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Vehicles is a big NO unless you are rich and it has sentimental value as you'll pay the new price plus import duty regardless of the age.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bill Johnson
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Clermont said:

Hi Claremont, thanks for the input. 

Yeah ive looked and the kit I’ve got high end tools (sthil chainsaws, snapon hand tools etc), so replacement in PH would be ridiculous pricing especially the big chainsaws that would be £3500 GBP !  🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Bill Johnson said:

sthil chainsaws

I'm not going to tell you that no one brings in chainsaws, but I will say you run the risk of having them confiscated if you don't have the right paperwork.  They are on the restricted list here:

Regulated/Restricted Commodities

Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) - Forest Management Bureau (FMB)
Republic Act No. 9175 (Chainsaw Act  dated 22 July 2002)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Bill Johnson said:

. My question is about importing, motorbikes, construction tools (cement mixers, power tools, petrol jet washes/generators etc). Whats the deal with moving back with all this kind of stuff ?

Most items you mention will have an import tax. The question is whether the cost is worth it.

Power tools, I think your country is 50 Hz where here it's 60 so from my understanding will spin faster and wear out quicker.

2 hours ago, Bill Johnson said:

I’ve got high end tools (sthil chainsaws

What are you going to do with them? Are you living on a farm or somewhere that they will be used? 

Bill Johnson
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Most items you mention will have an import tax. The question is whether the cost is worth it.

Power tools, I think your country is 50 Hz where here it's 60 so from my understanding will spin faster and wear out quicker.

What are you going to do with them? Are you living on a farm or somewhere that they will be used? 

YEAH THATS KINDA THE PLAN, SMALL HOLDING AN WORKSHOP !!

Bill Johnson
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I'm not going to tell you that no one brings in chainsaws, but I will say you run the risk of having them confiscated if you don't have the right paperwork.  They are on the restricted list here:

Regulated/Restricted Commodities

Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) - Forest Management Bureau (FMB)
Republic Act No. 9175 (Chainsaw Act  dated 22 July 2002)

Ahhh noooo didn't know that bullshizer !!!

Clermont
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Bill Johnson said:
23 hours ago, Clermont said:

Yeah ive looked and the kit I’ve got high end tools (sthil chainsaws, snapon hand tools etc), so replacement in PH would be ridiculous pricing especially the big chainsaws that would be £3500 GBP !  🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Bill, don't get off on the wrong foot of the law when you come over, there are laws that forbid you from bringing in certain pieces of machinery or tools into the country, chainsaws is one of them, band.  DNER will be onto and if they think you are going to cause environmental damage, (  that's what they call it when you lop a tree down, ) even a sapling, you could be charged. To lop a coconut tree down you even have to get a permit, even if it is on your property, relaxed law but still enforceable. Don't forget you are a foreigner and all eyes will be on you, as for snap on tools, as long as they are not new and for personal use only. You should be alright as long as it's not a full garage assortment, if it is, the customs will want to know your intention and if you have applied for a work permit before they will release them.

What I'm saying is, fly under the radar when you come over, their laws are laxed in some areas and strict in others, it's a new type of world your coming into, different people will have different experiences but some laws are enforced strictly, don't be in a hurry to send anything over until you get the lay of the laws.

Read up on their confusing custom site what is forbidden and what isn't and when you have done that, you'll still be none the wiser as to what you can bring in and what attracts an import tax. That is not meant to be a smart a-s coment, it is the way the system works.

There is a lot of information on sending personal things through Balikbayan boxes, read up on that in this forum, might be a way to go.

As for the motor bike, it is doable without paying import duty, I won't go into it at the moment because westerners don't think like PI's and you'll either scoff at his method or get a good laugh out of it.

Good luck, enjoy your self when you come over. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Bill Johnson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Cheers Claremont, I have got (with the boss) a couple of bits of land, had trees cleared already and have a house half built. Been around Mindanao for about 6 years but didn't start looking into the perm thing as yet as still working around the North Sea etc.

Info is helpful  as im the type that would wander in with a container full of kit and stringing up the bugger thats trying to thieve it by way of massive (incorrect) Tax.. as I do know us whiteys are all millionaires and can afford it (not).....

• Like 1