fork and spoon

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

OK, who has mastered the fork and spoon? 

I hate it going somewhere to eat and thats what I get and most time the cutlery is so thin I'm surprised it last a week. But then; where, how and who came up with the fork and spoon and no knife? 

:SugarwareZ-047:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Spoon is the only utensil needed in Philippine cuisine. Cooking follow the Chinese tradition that everything is cut to bite size or a size you can lift with chopsticks. Since there were no chopsticks in the Philippines, everyone used their right hand only, following the Islamic tradition that you don't use the left since it is used in personal hygiene.  Spoon or something shaped like a spoon like a coconut shell is needed for the broth or soup.

P.S. - Please wash your hands before and after all meals or Filipinos will think you are barbarians.

• Haha 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Spoon is the only utensil needed in Philippine cuisine. Cooking follow the Chinese tradition that everything is cut to bite size or a size you can lift with chopsticks. Since there were no chopsticks in the Philippines, everyone used their right hand only, following the Islamic tradition that you don't use the left since it is used in personal hygiene.  Spoon or something shaped like a spoon like a coconut shell is needed for the broth or soup.

P.S. - Please wash your hands before and after all meals or Filipinos will think you are barbarians.

Although what you say is probably correct the issue in the modern world is the do use both utentis.  They hold the food with one ans cut or tear with the other. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Rice 🍚 is usually eaten with fingers. I never noticed a fork and spoon is all many places provide. Could it be they’re afraid giving others a knife?

Edit: I haven’t mastered eating without getting something on my shirt. The nicer   the shirt the larger the mess.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Although what you say is probably correct the issue in the modern world is the do use both utentis.  They hold the food with one ans cut or tear with the other. 

Yes. I agree. You should be competent in using all types of utensils including wooden, plastic and metal chopsticks. I haven't done "kamayan" or eating with your fingers in a long time. As a child, I would get admonished for getting rice on the palm which is a "No. No." The etiquette is for the palm to remain clean. Let the fingers do the work including scooping.

My parents tried to teach us the British method of using the back of a fork to bring food to your mouth. Never worked for me. I am glad it is diminishing in popularity.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

OK, who has mastered the fork and spoon? 

I wouldn’t say mastered but I’ve adapted, I spread jam, marmalade or chocolate spread with the back of a spoon on bread instead of using a knife, with softer meat I ‘cut/pull’ using the edge of the spoon and the fork.  I eat some food with my right hand (which a lot of the family do being from out in the provinces) but I don’t eat rice that way unless I have to.  I hadn’t really thought about it for a while, it used to slow down my eating but not recently.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was told that they did use knives but were stopped from doing so during the occupation by the Japanese .There is nothing worse than trying to cut tough meat with a spoon.And yes the fork and spoon usually bend when using them in local eateries.

Edited by sonjack2847
Correct my English Grammar
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

There is nothing worse than trying to cut tough meat with a spoon

Yeah, there is.  When the little woman comes and cuts my meat up into bite size pieces for me as if I was a child.  She is trained now, but in the beginning, she thought it was her job to cut the meat into bite size pieces for me and then give me a spoon.  Perhaps its just me but I did not enjoy being treated like an ankle biter so she now puts out a knife and fork at every meal.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

so she now puts out a knife and fork at every meal.

At a Wedding we attend some time ago our take home gift was a small set of cutlery that fitted into a tube just the right size for a handbag (or man bag)  This not the one as it is in her Bag but do you get the Idea? cutlery.jpg

• Like 5

Ryan.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

Edit: I haven’t mastered eating without getting something on my shirt. The nicer the shirt the larger the mess.

I think that is some universal law. 👍🏼

• Thanks 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2