fork and spoon

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, bastonjock said:

they were delighted that we ate every dish that was served to us including dog

Delighted?  Or having a laugh at your expense?  I found it was the latter when it came to eating the family pet.  But they did cut it is small enough pieces I could use a spoon and they did try to call it "mystery meat" so as not to alarm me.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Delighted?  Or having a laugh at your expense?  I found it was the latter when it came to eating the family pet.  But they did cut it is small enough pieces I could use a spoon and they did try to call it "mystery meat" so as not to alarm me.

Yes  i had a similar experience, i asked for forgiveness from my old dogs , i still have their ashes 

• Haha 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I find it amusing that so many places will bring my wife a fork & spoon, but bring me a fork & knife - then I have to request a spoon.  Generally I find that if you cannot cut the meat with a spoon it is too tough to eat anyway.  At home, we use a knife to cut my meat, but the meal is served with fork & spoon.  I am also perfectly comfortable eating with just my hands anyway.

One time, in the  Little India neighborhood of Singapore I got some dal and rice (thick split pea soup). I saw a couple locals looking at me and snickering to each other.  I got the idea they thought I could not eat soup & rice with no utensils.  I made an indention in the rice, poured in the soup, mixed it by hand, and proceeded to eat.  They nodded approvingly.  When I went back with a Filipino shipmate he could not believe they did not have utensils. I laughed and told him to use his "Filipino fork" (making scissor motions with my fingers). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
On 9/19/2018 at 1:57 PM, Queenie O. said:

On a little different note--I've noticed that places selling BBQ items  now often provide plastic gloves to patrons.  Kind of a downer to eating BBQ in general, but a new trend here now..

We were given those at Boiled Crabs In A Bucket Dumped On The Table, Inc. a couple of weeks ago. It bothers me to wear them. I also hate to get my fingers messy. No middle ground with me.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Reboot said:

To be honest, I have a hard time trying to eat rice with just the fingers.

Same. You have to mound it up and press it together but I still wind up with half the amount in my mouth that I start out with in my hand. My wife laughs at me.

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

We were given those at Boiled Crabs In A Bucket Dumped On The Table, Inc. a couple of weeks ago. It bothers me to wear them. I also hate to get my fingers messy. No middle ground with me.

Agreed.  

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Delighted?  Or having a laugh at your expense?  I found it was the latter when it came to eating the family pet.

I have in the back of my mind that when some members of the family finally visit my home in Australia that Kangaroo steaks, Rabbit stew and witchetee grub soup should feature strongly on the menu choices hehe

• Love it 1
  • Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I have in the back of my mind that when some members of the family finally visit my home in Australia that Kangaroo steaks, Rabbit stew and witchetee grub soup should feature strongly on the menu choices hehe

That's the thing. If one travels to different countries than nothing is shocking about fried cockroach or horse meat so in reality we can not judge on what foods are the source of life anywhere in the world. Not that I have traveled but seen many a video of of strange foods that we may think is strange. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

horse meat

Or donkeys.  Some nationalities are thought to be great lovers when in reality they just have the habit of eating a piece of ass now and again. :gday:

• Haha 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Some things must be eaten by hand. Fried chicken and crab come to mind. There's just no other way.

• Like 2