What a trusting country Australia is.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I've often wondered about this myself.  I'm in receipt of a DFRDB pension so my best guess is that whilst death notices in the paper aren't a legal requirement the fact that probate is being applied for is.  I'd say the relevant agencies deep a close eye on this.  Just speculation though. 

Clermont
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

I've often wondered about this myself.  I'm in receipt of a DFRDB pension so my best guess is that whilst death notices in the paper aren't a legal requirement the fact that probate is being applied for is.  I'd say the relevant agencies deep a close eye on this.  Just speculation though. 

Brett, the bloke I talked to, told me they only monitor your bank account for withdrawals, he was a team leader. In 2050 there will be 40000 Australian centenarians, I suppose a big percent of expats will still drawing a pension. :hystery:

• Hmm thinking 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Brett, the bloke I talked to, told me they only monitor your bank account for withdrawals, he was a team leader. In 2050 there will be 40000 Australian centenarians, I suppose a big percent of expats will still drawing a pension. :hystery:

Really? That's weird, I thought the ATO were the only ones that could do that sort of thing and then only then with legal recourse.  

There's mutterings again of paying all  DFRDB recipients out, seems to be a 5 year cycle of rumours.  Personally, if the option was there, I'd still continue to draw the pension.. It's protection against bad investments to my mind.  If they paid us out to the average male life expectancy in Australia I'd receive more than enough retire right now but what I'd do with it may or may not be iron clad.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):.  

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

If they paid us out to the average male life expectancy

Now there's an interesting thought.  What if a person was permitted to say how long they wanted to live and get more money for a shorter lifespan and when the money ran out you got nothing, or had the option of a lethal injection.  :chickendance:

• Haha 2
  • I'm Confused 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

What if a person was permitted to say how long they wanted to live

homer and the thruth.jpg But I like your thought

• Haha 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Really? That's weird, I thought the ATO were the only ones that could do that sort of thing and then only then with legal recourse.  

There's mutterings again of paying all  DFRDB recipients out, seems to be a 5 year cycle of rumours.  Personally, if the option was there, I'd still continue to draw the pension.. It's protection against bad investments to my mind.  If they paid us out to the average male life expectancy in Australia I'd receive more than enough retire right now but what I'd do with it may or may not be iron clad.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):.  

You are right the ATO can check on you, but I'm not too sure on the law around having to get a court order ( secret squirrel stuff ) but it is a government department and so are all pension departments. One government department cross checks with another nowadays through your tax file number. All taxes are feed into a computer, ( rates, rego, banking 100 point check, even if you don't pay tax, you still get a notice, no deductible tax, etc. ) now from my understanding, when this is not occurring, flags are sent to the department that you are drawing from and questions asked. That is why it is important to register as an expat living overseas, still no documentation on proof of living. :computerrage_40_anim_gif:

Now living a country like the PI's, I suppose the only way Australia would know would be a death certificate registered through the Australian Embassy in Manila, all deaths are registered.

Jest: The wife wants to know if anyone knows a good corrupt doctor so she can still collect our pension as a couple if I fall of the perch before her, I'd be curious too. :hystery:

• Haha 1