Jump to content
Queenie O.

An Anthurium plant collection

Recommended Posts

I haven't posted about a garden plant for a while, so I thought I'd showcase this one. In the shade of a dwarf coconut tree, we have a collection of exotic Anthurium plants. Originally from Central and South America, they grow well here. I used to only see them sold as indoor houseplants  in florist shops in the US. They are pot- bound in individual pots grouped together. They don't require much soil-only planted with dried coconut husks, and a little composted material. Their flowers make a good addition to a flower arrangement because they last quite a while in water.  Apart from their colorful, and unusual flowers, the leaves are large and heart shaped.  We don't cut them though,  just enjoy seeing them grouped together outside after a rain shower. They bloom continuously year round here, and can be divided when they get bigger and send out new plant shoots.20160916_060942.jpg20180918_104653.jpg20180918_104809.jpg20180918_104731.jpg20180918_104638.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Love it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, Very nice Queenie.  The photos show a pink color.  Does this plant bloom in other colors?  Always nice to find plants which will bloom in shaded areas.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, intrepid said:

Wow, Very nice Queenie.  The photos show a pink color.  Does this plant bloom in other colors?  Always nice to find plants which will bloom in shaded areas.

Thanks Intrepid.  In thinking about searching for other colors and shapes etc, I recently came across this poster online that showed so many different images! Not sure how many of these are available here, but I know that there are bright red and waxy looking ones that I'd love to acquire.  I'm assuming that these are many hybrids maybe?  The care for the varieties is probably the same for all. I have to say that part of the area they are situated in gets some sun during the day, so I'd say shade to partial shade seems to work for them. I don't see many local gardeners growing them around here very often. My original ones I purchased from a neighbor, and I've been able to pick up some at plant stores from time to time. Most of the ones I have,93a1387ce7558ea612e68c572ea73dc2.jpg I've been able to divide from larger established plants. You should look around and try to start a collection for your yard too.:smile:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2018 at 3:15 AM, Queenie O. said:

I haven't posted about a garden plant for a while, so I thought I'd showcase this one. In the shade of a dwarf coconut tree, we have a collection of exotic Anthurium plants. Originally from Central and South America, they grow well here. I used to only see them sold as indoor houseplants  in florist shops in the US. They are pot- bound in individual pots grouped together. They don't require much soil-only planted with dried coconut husks, and a little composted material. Their flowers make a good addition to a flower arrangement because they last quite a while in water.  Apart from their colorful, and unusual flowers, the leaves are large and heart shaped.  We don't cut them though,  just enjoy seeing them grouped together outside after a rain shower. They bloom continuously year round here, and can be divided when they get big

 

ger and send out new plant shoots.20160916_060942.jpg20180918_104653.jpg20180918_104809.jpg20180918_104731.jpg20180918_104638.jpg

On 9/18/2018 at 3:15 AM, Queenie O. said:

I haven't posted about a garden plant for a while, so I thought I'd showcase this one. In the shade of a dwarf coconut tree, we have a collection of exotic Anthurium plants.

Very nice Qeeny, thanks for sharing. 

In Florida where I’m from you see them all the time in ppl’s gardens, mostly just the bright waxy red ones, pale pink and occasionally white. Never knew the real name though, my Aunt owned a florist shop and she always called them “Little Boy Plants” >>> I think the reason why is obvious, lol

  • Love it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gator said:

Very nice Qeeny, thanks for sharing. 

In Florida where I’m from you see them all the time in ppl’s gardens, mostly just the bright waxy red ones, pale pink and occasionally white. Never knew the real name though, my Aunt owned a florist shop and she always called them “Little Boy Plants” >>> I think the reason why is obvious, lol

Hahaha that's an appropriate name I'd say. Thanks Gator. I've visited Florida in the past, and it seems that there are so many tropical plants and trees available to see everywhere. I wonder if people in your place take them for granted, and don't realize how lucky they are!:smile:

Not as many gardens of plants and trees as one would expect out here in the province, Some folks have a real green thumb it seems, as they can grow orchids and other exotics in the simplest of spaces along the road. I think that having fancier plants is expensive for many, and also ready access to nearby running water is not always easy. Gardens can be work and time consuming too I guess. Many stick to some simple vegetables and a banana tree or two.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice - what what your supply source?  We have semi-shaded area that would brighten right up with those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife waters the garden in the evening which is what I was always taught to do.A plant seller said we should water them in the morning so what is the correct time to water? The reason I was told (in the UK) to water them in the evening was that

A,you might Damage the foliage in the sun.

B,They have all night to drink the water before the sun starts to evaporate it.

So what do you all think evening or morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

So what do you all think evening or morning. 

:hystery: Certainly when sober Kev :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×