Cebu - Help!

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted

My first post - so be gentle with me!

Having decided that Cebu is where I'm going to spend the last quarter (come on Craig be positive - third!) of my life – I’m bright enough to know, what I don't know – and specifically that’s the information I need to successfully and happily retire in Cebu - hence seeking the advice of you guys. About me well my CV reads… I am 63-year-old, twice divorced East End businessman (apply that term very loosely!).  Likes - The Hammers, golf, motorcycles (all/any), Golden Retrievers, sailing, Live music, American V8’s, seeing Tottenham lose, BBQ’s, Red Horse, The Square and (if I didn’t mention it) The Irons! I'd would also like to add to that list fishing and scuba-diving but never having done either that may be a tad premature... Dislikes - cash sucking vampires (oh sorry no disrespect meant, ex-wives), income tax British weather. Notwithstanding I realise there is so much that I don't know e.g. firstly whether to buy or rent a home, healthcare, Sky Sports, residency status, typhoons, taxation, utilities, poisonous and bitey things, Internet - and which of course that knowledge collectively you guys have in abundance. My longer-term plan is to retire to Cebu around September next year, but in the shorter term to spend 4 weeks (probably in January) hiring a car and touring the coast of Cebu – occasionally visiting the surrounding islands. The general idea is to find out where I am going to live. So, I guess the main purpose of this post is to ask/beg (when I am there in January) if I can meet up with 1 or 2 of you guys - then after bribing you with copious quantities of falling down liquid to get you to impart some of your much-needed knowledge, experience and wisdom!!!

So, I’ll finish where I started – Cebu HELP!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Craig.

Expat’s living on the island of Cebu would be happy to answer questions. We would ask you to ask specific questions in a new topic. It’s difficult to answer a so general question. 😉

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted

Yeah I sort of guessed that buddy, really all I wanted (clearly my post was far to longggggggggggg) was to meet up with one or two of you guys when I am out there on my Tour de Cebu in January?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, CockneyRebel said:

Yeah I sort of guessed that buddy, really all I wanted (clearly my post was far to longggggggggggg) was to meet up with one or two of you guys when I am out there on my Tour de Cebu in January?

I live in Cebu city and are open to meet if I can at the time. Also the comment about buying a home or renting. You are not allowed to own land or a house which sits on land. You can own a condo though but let's discuss that in another topic. :thumbsup:

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted

Oh I was in Cebu City for 2 weeks only very recently, perhaps I should have posted this before! Yeah I'm trying to get my head around the property law out there, I thought (probably wrongly) I could get a 25 year lease, which could be extended by a further 25 years (and let's face it I will be long gone before that expires)?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, CockneyRebel said:

I thought (probably wrongly) I could get a 25 year lease, which could be extended by a further 25 years (and let's face it I will be long gone before that expires)?

Yes that can be done. Best to read topics on that. 

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome you have 2 Hammers here in Dumaguete.There are a lot of nice places around Cebu city just away from the city where a lot of expats live.Choose where you are going to live wisely as after a while a too small a town with limited resources can close in on you.

Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Before getting  carried away with buying or long term leasing it would be prudent to rent there a few months.

Traffic, jeepney fumnes, squalor and such Cebu City  is not for everyone. This needs to balanced against many positives like malls, health care Cebu can offer. As Kevin so rightly pointed out, smaller town living also has its down sides....Feet on the ground a few months.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, CockneyRebel said:

So, I guess the main purpose of this post is to ask/beg (when I am there in January) if I can meet up with 1 or 2 of you guys

I see that your visit will be in January and that's a bit far in advance for many of us locals to make plans,  We are living the dream and planning for tomorrow is too much stress LOL.  (I planned to meet some friends for lunch today but was getting such a good rest I didn't roll out of bed until 11 am.  Unusual for me and strange that it happened on a day I had plans.  Oh well I am rambling.)

My point is you are going to drive around Cebu island and when you get to the bottom of it you can drive on the Ferry and be in Dumaguete in an hour.  Meet up with us reprobates and deplorables on the second Thursday of any month and we'll give you an earful.

• Love it 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I see that your visit will be in January and that's a bit far in advance for many of us locals to make plans,  We are living the dream and planning for tomorrow is too much stress LOL.  (I planned to meet some friends for lunch today but was getting such a good rest I didn't roll out of bed until 11 am.  Unusual for me and strange that it happened on a day I had plans.  Oh well I am rambling.)

My point is you are going to drive around Cebu island and when you get to the bottom of it you can drive on the Ferry and be in Dumaguete in an hour.  Meet up with us reprobates and deplorables on the second Thursday of any month and we'll give you an earful.

And remember to wear your Westham shirt!!

COYI.

:AddEmoticons04230:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic