Cebu - Help!

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes that can be done. Best to read topics on that. 

Thanks for the advice Jolly, I'll definitely work my way through them

Craig

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Welcome you have 2 Hammers here in Dumaguete.There are a lot of nice places around Cebu city just away from the city where a lot of expats live.Choose where you are going to live wisely as after a while a too small a town with limited resources can close in on you.

Interesting points Jack. Whilst I am happy with my own company I also love banter with me  mates and having a couple of Hammers fans would definitely help me bed into my new life. Yeah its not my intimation to live in Cebu City. Whilst good internet, reliable utilities, hospital etc are a big draw I really can't see myself swapping London traffic for Cebu traffic

Craig

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, RBM said:

Before getting  carried away with buying or long term leasing it would be prudent to rent there a few months.

Traffic, jeepney fumnes, squalor and such Cebu City  is not for everyone. This needs to balanced against many positives like malls, health care Cebu can offer. As Kevin so rightly pointed out, smaller town living also has its down sides....Feet on the ground a few months.

Yeah RB that's one bit advice I will definitely take (rent first). My sister 'emigrated' to Tenerife and bought the first gaff she saw. Big mistake. Renting also give me a chance to move around and 'try before I buy'. Bit like my new girlfriend!

Thnaks

Craig

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I see that your visit will be in January and that's a bit far in advance for many of us locals to make plans,  We are living the dream and planning for tomorrow is too much stress LOL.  (I planned to meet some friends for lunch today but was getting such a good rest I didn't roll out of bed until 11 am.  Unusual for me and strange that it happened on a day I had plans.  Oh well I am rambling.)

My point is you are going to drive around Cebu island and when you get to the bottom of it you can drive on the Ferry and be in Dumaguete in an hour.  Meet up with us reprobates and deplorables on the second Thursday of any month and we'll give you an earful.

Funny! But you raise a truly interesting point Dave.  It seems that so many guys of you guys live in Dumaguete and I wonder why you opted for there rather than say Moalboal or wherever - I am guessing simply because there is more expats there then anywhere else or was there some other reason?

Craig

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted

Oh I will. and I had best not cut my arm as there I have claret and blue!

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, BrettGC said:

He lost me there... Go Spurs!!!  We sort of like being the most hated team in London, it's a badge of honour!

But seriously mate, visit, travel around North to South, find somewhere you like and spend a bit longer there.  It's just a coincidence I fell in with the Dumaguete reprobates, my missus is from Negros but having said that, it is comforting to know there's a ready bunch of blokes to have a beer with every month.  But don't let the fact you know someone somewhere influence you too much.  You'll find your niche somewhere or not,  boots on ground will serve you well. We have members here that are happy in places in PI that I personally wouldn't dream of living and it's probably vice versa for them.  PI is like any country, it has areas for some and not for others but it also has not at all for a lot of people.  

Brett in some ways I would rather meet a Spurs fan. My best buddy here is a yid supporter and I would just miss the banter. Talking of which how are you doing in the Champions League! My girlfriend is from Cebu City (not sure if she is a keeper yet) but I am sure she would move anywhere. Anyway Dumaguete is DEFFINITELY on my list, so I will be there for a few days so I look forward to meeting up with you

Craig

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

And what a wonderful day it is when that happens!  Heavenly.    :6:

Hmm, I just cant help but wonder why The Spurs are so allergic to Silver!

• Haha 1

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Westwho?

Been watching this season closer than I have in years, it's gonna be interesting.  Gunners.. But that's way off-topic :)

Arsenal another interesting team, just remind me how they got on for the first 2 games of the season!

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have to admit I don't follow it too much, so I have to ask:  Are these the current standings?  :whistling:

Current Standings.jpg

Just how is that new ground going:89:

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lou49 said:

January is a very busy month in Cebu. Lots of visitors due to Sinulog Festival....Airports, roads an hotels will be very busy. Book well ahead of time. Some hotels charge premium rates during Sinulog. When u get here most hotels will negotiate a monthly rate and u can pay 25-35% less than posted rates.

Good point maybe Lou, maybe I'll come in December instead; I'm really keen to crack-on with my new life anyway - do you guys tend to get together for Christmas and/or NY?

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic