Post Office Experience Today

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Most of my experiences with PhilPost are good and today was no exception.

Last night I ran a trace on a package I was expecting and found out it had been sitting in my local post office for 48 hours so I planned to go get it today.  I wondered why they had not sent me a text or dropped by the house to tell me I have a package which has been normal in the past.

This morning I got a phone call on my landline.  It was from the Post Office.  No one has my landline number.  I never give it out as I seldom answer it.  Turns out I had not put my cell phone number on the package so a bright lady at the post office called directory assistance for my number and gave me a call.  Wow.  That just never happens.

So I get there to pick up my package and all the staff are new.  That explains why they don't have my number as I gave it to the last bunch with some money for load so they can text me when I get a package.

Now here's the real story.  I asked where the lady was who had worked there or so many years and she had moved to a job in the private sector.  Really?  I asked.  I would have thought that the government paid more than working in a private job.  That got a laugh.  "Sir" she said. "The private job pays minimum wage and that is 350 pesos a day.  The post office only pays us 200 a day."

Well I admitted to being shocked that the government would make these rules for everyone else to follow and then not follow them their own selves.  But this is Philippines and it's more fun here.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Most of my experiences with PhilPost are good

Wish I could say that.  The 2 letters to my kids from U.S. SS were stamped arrived in Subic Bay Freeport on August 14th and delivered by the inept post guy on September 13th.  Maybe I need to go down to the actual office and do what you did.

8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

"The private job pays minimum wage and that is 350 pesos a day.  The post office only pays us 200 a day."

I wonder if that can be verified?  200 a day does not sound right.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I wonder if that can be verified?  200 a day does not sound right.

I doubt that it can be scientifically verified but it is easily "anecdotally" verified.  Just go into any small town PhilPost office and strike up a conversation with the staff then bring it around to wages and see what they say they are paid.  

In addition, the lady who left had been there a long time.  If the pay was better in the post office then there would be no reason to leave.  The hours are great and the work is easy.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

200 a day does not sound right.

I have been thinking on this and I wonder if they are doing like they did in Canada many years ago.  What they did was to designate "main" post offices and "sub" post offices.  The main post office employees got union wages and the sub post offices were contractors who got paid (and paid their employees) much less than the unionized workers.  My local post office is a very small operation and would likely be one of those sub post offices.

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted (edited)

I never use Philpost,i have sent cards for Birthdays,Xmas etc none of them arrive in the UK !

And the Proof of life forms from the UK Int Pension service never arrive at my address !

I contacted Philpost by phone and email and they just say they have no record of my complaints.

Always use LBC now it may be expensive but at least everything reaches the destinations

Edited by expatuk2014

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have been thinking on this and I wonder if they are doing like they did in Canada many years ago.  What they did was to designate "main" post offices and "sub" post offices.  The main post office employees got union wages and the sub post offices were contractors who got paid (and paid their employees) much less than the unionized workers.  My local post office is a very small operation and would likely be one of those sub post offices.

I wonder if they have to pay a percentage of their wages to their "patron" (the boss who hired them). I know that's not unheard of here.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JDDavao said:

I wonder if they have to pay a percentage of their wages to their "patron" (the boss who hired them). I know that's not unheard of here.

Quite true and possible JD. I have very little knowledge about their labor laws, but I wonder if there’s any legit deductions like taxes, SS, medical, etc.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have had no problems with Philpost in fact I have experienced the opposit.My tax return was sent by the idiots in the uk to Me 2 wuthrich apt upper Junob Philippines.And that was the extent of the address.Some eagle eyed person in Manila recognised my name and it got here allbeit late.I have never had a registered letter from here go missing.

• Thanks 2