Why Dumaguete?

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

For me, my Wife is a Dumaguetonian and so very proud of it, he we are and here we stay, anywhere else is within fairly easy travel :whistling:

Jack:smile:

Morning all :photo-109:

Fair enough :cheersty:

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Probably just personal preference.  I notice many younger people (as in one or more decades younger than me) like Moalboal.  Badian does not even strike me as worth mentioning.  Balamban is a bit popular as it is a quick hop over the mountain away from Cebu City.  But Dumaguete has a certain appeal to retiring foreigners.  It may be just the social aspect of having so many like-minded old farts living nearby so the feeling of ethnic isolation that sometimes happens in other provincial areas does not happen here.

Yep you are selling me Dave. But are there places maybe a little outside Dumaguete, which are still accessible but more beach/coastal rather than the metropolis?

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:whistling: that'll be me then 

Clearly you guessed my age then!

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

For me it is the convenience of a big city without all of the hassle.I can get nearly everything I want here without travelling 60km.

I suppose my reluctance Jack (btw my only experience of the Philippines is Metro Manila and Cebu City) is swapping UK traffic jams for another set of traffic jams - and that was not what I imagined the Philippine dream would be?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, CockneyRebel said:

But are there places maybe a little outside Dumaguete, which are still accessible but more beach/coastal rather than the metropolis?

Dauin.  But we think of that as a part of Dumaguete as most people living there do their shopping and socializing in Dumaguete.

Clermont
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

We are still enjoying a wanderlust lifestyle, but if either my wife or I should need caregiver services, Dumaguete would be our destination. The reason is Silliman University produces excellent medical graduates and has an excellent hospital. The area has more charm and is less chaotic than Metro Manila. Having a supportive expat community is another plus.

JJ, is that medical care your talking about or homecare, why I ask, because a lot of my inlaws have one foot in the grave and all the family does is pay for a nurse to be with them 24/7. A good doc, (not a healer) visits them once a week and hospitalize them if need be until they recover or go to meet their maker.

Some of us with our medical history would put the best hypochondriac to shame, so what I'm trying to say, it doesn't matter at our age if we get crook just so long as your basic needs are met and it doesn't matter where you fall off the perch.

As long as you can pay the bill at the end of the day, you'll be alright in most hospitals. Remember dead foreigners don't pay bills, it's in their interest to keep you kicking. Also PI's don't know dead foreigners either for payment of bills. :thumbsup:

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Dauin.  But we think of that as a part of Dumaguete as most people living there do their shopping and socializing in Dumaguete.

Dauin - that is precisely the snippet of information I was seeking. I have had a quick Google and have already seen a couple of potential good rentals and only 20 mins from Dumaguete. Thank you

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, CockneyRebel said:

20 mins from Dumaguete. Thank you

Now my friend will depend on Time of Day and mode of transport :wink: Dumaguete gets its fair share of Traffic and  both North and South Highways Traffic can be Outrageous & Dangerous, Davin on a bad day, can be over an Hour ( Unless you are Suicidal:ohmy:) but it is a nice place to live

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Now my friend will depend on Time of Day and mode of transport :wink: Dumaguete gets its fair share of Traffic and  both North and South Highways Traffic can be Outrageous & Dangerous, Davin on a bad day, can be over an Hour ( Unless you are Suicidal:ohmy:) but it is a nice place to live

Point taken - hence my 4 week Tour de Cebu/Dumaguete the early part of the new year. I appreciate you guys can only help me so much and it has to be boots on the ground at the end of the day.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, CockneyRebel said:

my 4 week Tour de Cebu/Dumaguete the early part of the new year

Try and be around Dumaguete the 2nd Thursday of a month so you can pop in and meet us lads from Dumaguete :thumbsup: