Why Dumaguete?

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:20 AM, Jack Peterson said:

Forum and explaining.jpg So maybe it will be better from me. @CockneyRebel Your Round when you arrive:whistling::cheers:

BTW Happy birthday.jpg   :thumbsup:

OP????

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:20 AM, Jack Peterson said:

Forum and explaining.jpg So maybe it will be better from me. @CockneyRebel Your Round when you arrive:whistling::cheers:

BTW Happy birthday.jpg   :thumbsup:

My pleasure!

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:19 AM, JJReyes said:

Philippine entry point for many Expats looking for a retirement haven is either Metro Manila or Metro Cebu.  After getting the opportunity to visit different places in the country, the Expat begins to realize there are many places that provide an ideal compromise between living in a chaotic large city and the dream of finding a beach with miles and miles of beautiful sand with no people. Dumaguete happens to be one of those ideal compromise places. You can avail to the services offered by a medium size city like good hospitals yet a more frenetic lifestyle is available if that is your desire. My personal preference is quiet, but there should be quality restaurants nearby where I can enjoy a good meal.

I like Dumaguete. At the same time, I have a couple of other places as a backup. The reason is the current appeal of Dumaguete and the influx of people, including local and foreign retirees, attracted by its appeal, may cause it to lose its charm. Of course, my arrival could be during a time in my life that I might be dependent on a wheelchair. So an over populated Dumaguete would no longer be important.

You make some very interesting points JJ - and I also am slowly coming to the conclusion that Dumaguete may also be the compromise I am seeking; particular the Dauin area, I can't wait for my extended trip to the Cebu region so I can check it all out:shooter:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, CockneyRebel said:

OP????

Opening Poster which is you.  :cheers:

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Opening Poster which is you.  :cheers:

Or Old Person - same difference!

(Thanks)

• Haha 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, CockneyRebel said:

OP????

Opening poster as in your Topic :whistling:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well bit late to the party on this one but why Dumaguete for me?

Well the Angry Midget/Short Angry One is from Negros Oriental about 3 hours North of Dumaguete (Guihulngan City) but works in Dumaguete.  Some of you may remember a few years back we renovated her family home with a view to living there one day, but as idyllic as the location is, beach front, quiet etc there's absolutely nothing there other than the basics. Whilst I'm not against a quiet provincial life, I do like a little modicum of convenience sometimes and Dumaguete ticks a lot of boxes with regards to this without being crazy busy like Manila, Cebu City and to a lesser extent Davao City.  It's easier to get to than where I currently live in Australia. 

It also complies with the 2 hour rule. :thumbsup:

SAO is happy to live anywhere in The Bisayas so the fact I like Dumaguete is sort of a bonus.  High on our list of alternatives were Tagbilaran, Tacloban and Puerto Princesa.  Whilst not in the Bisayas, we fell in love with Puerto Princesa  and Palawan in general last year - tourist trap issues aside of course.  We toyed with the idea of Siquijor as well but ruled it out for the same reasons as her home town.  

Dumaguete has a good bunch of reprobates there that like to get together for a beer every now and then too.  Funny thing is, once I discovered that dark ale, (Cerveza Negra) Kev was a little worried I'd drink the resto dry of it and leave none for him.  I gave it a crack but didn't make it and by the time SAO came to pick me up she had to pour me into the trike :cheersty:

Edited by BrettGC
Spelling
  • Haha 3

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Well bit late to the party on this one but why Dumaguete for me?

Well the Angry Midget/Short Angry One is from Negros Oriental about 3 hours North of Dumaguete (Guihulngan City) but works in Dumaguete.  Some of you may remember a few years back we renovated her family home with a view to living there one day, but as idyllic as the location is, beach front, quiet etc there's absolutely nothing there other than the basics. Whilst I'm not against a quiet provincial life, I do like a little modicum of convenience sometimes and Dumaguete ticks a lot of boxes with regards to this without being crazy busy like Manila, Cebu City and to a lesser extent Davao City.  It's easier to get to than where I currently live in Australia. 

It also complies with the 2 hour rule. :thumbsup:

SAO is happy to live anywhere in The Bisayas so the fact I like Dumaguete is sort of a bonus.  High on our list of alternatives were Tagbilaran, Tacloban and Puerto Princesa.  Whilst not in the Bisayas, we fell in love with Puerto Princesa  and Palawan in general last year - tourist trap issues aside of course.  We toyed with the idea of Siquijor as well but ruled it out for the same reasons as her home town.  

Dumaguete has a good bunch of reprobates there that like to get together for a beer every now and then too.  Funny thing is, once I discovered that dark ale, (Cerveza Negra) Kev was a little worried I'd drink the resto dry of it and leave none for him.  I gave it a crack but didn't make it and by the time SAO came to pick me up she had to pour me into the tried :cheersty:

Well definitely better late than never Brett - I have never heard of  Tagbilaran, Tacloban, Puerto Princesa  or Palawan  - so I definitely will add to my desktop research and see which ones I wont to add to my Cebu Grand Tour the early part of  next yer. Thank you

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, CockneyRebel said:

I have never heard of  Tagbilaran, Tacloban,

Tacloban is on Leyte. My GF comes from there and is a survivor of super typhoon Yolanda 2013 which killed thousands there. But that could happen almost anywhere in the Philippines but if you settled there I think I would live in a high area due to what caused most deaths as the sea got pushed up high because of the shape of the bay. 

• Like 1

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Tacloban is on Leyte. My GF comes from there and is a survivor of super typhoon Yolanda 2013 which killed thousands there. But that could happen almost anywhere in the Philippines but if you settled there I think I would live in a high area due to what caused most deaths as the sea got pushed up high because of the shape of the bay. 

To be honest JGF I'm not that fussed - I have a lot of places to consider so I think I will simply take swerve on Tacloban. Advice really appreciated.