PLDT Fibr - New Modem

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

PLDT upgraded our Fibr modem last week to a great big white one with 4 antennas.  It has two wireless connections: 2.4 ghz and one I think they call 5G.  I can't tell much difference between the two.  I still use our internet over powerline adapter in our bedroom.  The new modem does have a lot more available ports on the back which was a limitation of the old one.

It seems that they are letting my speed go a bit above the 50 mbps I am paying for, or perhaps the improvement is just from the modem.  Here are some tests I just did.  The last test is Los Angeles with my Pure VPN on.

Makati PLDT                                                                               Cebu City, SMART

Screenshot (341).png  Screenshot (346).png

Buffalo, NY                                                                                   Dallas, TX

Screenshot (342).png  Screenshot (343).png

Los Angeles, CA                                                                     Los Angeles, CA with Pure VPN

Screenshot (344).png  Screenshot (348).png

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

That is pretty good, lots better than we get down in CDO but I think that Mindanao is at the wrong end of most of the international links.

• Like 2

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

Wow lot of difference the VPN can make I see. I am using Express VPN, and my test to that same LA server shows a pretty big difference vs Pure VPN. I am using the same type of PLDT 50mbps FIbr connection

Los Angeles, CA with Express VPN

Checks_.png.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JeSsDaDdY said:

Wow lot of difference the VPN can make I see. I am using Express VPN, and my test to that same LA server shows a pretty big difference vs Pure VPN. I am using the same type of PLDT 50mbps FIbr connection

Los Angeles, CA with Express VPN

Checks_.png.

Yes, I think you and some others said they were very happy with Express VPN, right?  I might have to look up how much I paid for Pure VPN and consider switching.  I don't use it a lot so would not make sense for me to pay much more money for faster VPN right now.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I think you and some others said they were very happy with Express VPN, right?  I might have to look up how much I paid for Pure VPN and consider switching.  I don't use it a lot so would not make sense for me to pay much more money for faster VPN right now.

Yeah, Pure VPN is a bit cheaper for sure. So, unless you  use it regularly, Express VPN is probably not an ideal solution as it is kind of spendy. But, with the ways I use it, it really saves me a lot in the end.

Howard
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

PLDT upgraded our Fibr modem last week to a great big white one with 4 antennas.  It has two wireless connections: 2.4 ghz and one I think they call 5G.  I can't tell much difference between the two.  I still use our internet over powerline adapter in our bedroom.  The new modem does have a lot more available ports on the back which was a limitation of the old one.

It seems that they are letting my speed go a bit above the 50 mbps I am paying for, or perhaps the improvement is just from the modem.  Here are some tests I just did.  The last test is Los Angeles with my Pure VPN on.

Makati PLDT                                                                               Cebu City, SMART

Screenshot (341).png  Screenshot (346).png

Buffalo, NY                                                                                   Dallas, TX

Screenshot (342).png  Screenshot (343).png

Los Angeles, CA                                                                     Los Angeles, CA with Pure VPN

Screenshot (344).png  Screenshot (348).png

That's nice speed! What do you pay a month for that? I noticed a guy from PLDT on my street last week running fiber and I was curious.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Howard said:

That's nice speed! What do you pay a month for that? I noticed a guy from PLDT on my street last week running fiber and I was curious.

In Subic Bay Freeport, we have Fibr via Subictel, a subsidiary of PLDT.  We don't get the same rates, packages and specials that are on the PLDT website.  Check there for rates that would apply to you.

I'm paying a total of about p3700 a month for 50 mbps service + Cignal HD that has a lot of channels and around 15 HD channels.

I have had it two years now and last time I was at their office I tried to ask what the current rates are, and all they could say was "you want to upgrade?".  No, I would like to pay less if the current rates were less than mine.  All of a sudden their English skills got worse, so I left.  I'll try harder next time and bring one of my little charmers with me.

• Like 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted (edited)

Fibre ! I applied ages ago for a upgrade from dsl to fibre 20mbs after watching the guys running cable along my road, opposite my house is a power pole, with a PLDT fibre box, but all i get from PLDT is my order is subject to there being a box with available connections near my home ! Sent an email with a photo of their box with the Nos etc ,and i got back the same reply ! So it looks like we will have to forget fibre !

Edited by expatuk2014
Spacing

TimL
Posted
Posted

So far, i’ve Had no luck getting PLDT fiber.  Sorry Sir, only 4 ports available in your building of 70 units and they’re all full.

So, I decided to start looking for a new place to live.  Each building I asked PLDT about, sorry Sir. Including even the freaking IT park. They can only provide dsl. WTH... I find that hard to believe but, then again based on what i’ve Learned here about the way things are done, maybe not so far fetched. :(

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Im begining to think we wont get Fibre ! I think that the PLDT Homefibr guys who have run the cable along the road and have installed a junction box on a pole opposite my home have done it just for show !

Last we heard from PLDT was the details of our upgrade plan that was the 28th August ! Ive contacted  PLDT cares🤣 and also sent a mesage through facebook they just say the same thing !

Still they have increased the dsl speed up to 3.5mbps for free