Jungle house

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, bastonjock said:

as there's a creek running through I'm going to take hydro into consideration 

I looked into that in depth a few years back.  The amount of electricity you can generate from a creek running through it is a pittance due to the DENR regulations that would prohibit you from building a dam.  BUT if you are in a hilly area and you can find a creek running from up high to down low you can tap into the water at the high point, run it through a pipe to a mini-hydro generator and release the water back to the stream.  Its the pressure of the height and the diameter of the pipe that determines the amount of power you can generate but if that is available to you it has the grid and solar and wind beat.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 9/25/2018 at 4:58 PM, bastonjock said:

Hi guys

Well looks like the construction of my dwelling in the Jungle has started ,it has taken a few weeks to get the water and electricity run in ,so far they have run in over one kilometer of water pipe to the house and have just finished a water tank.

As I'm finding out to my displeasure if you have a water pipeline running through a province area you'll have quite a few people tap into it.  The one's from Puerto Galera to Sabang are like a sieve as are the ones in Suli where I now live.  Three times I've had to get the municipality out to walk the pipes to find the reason why my water pressure was next to zero.  I finally just last Monday got them to run a short pipe into new 8 inch diameter metal supply line to my house. It was meant to be Friday then Saturday before they finally arrived on Monday after kicking a stink up. In total 5 days without water.

You might need that machine gun tower after all. :571b119686cf7_1(72):

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)

+1 for solar. I'm going to get it installed after I move next year. A grid tied system should pay for itself in 3 years based on the current electric rates. Panels last over 25 years on average and the inverter 10 years. Electric should work out at less than 2 pesos per kwh over the 25 years.

Edited by fillipino_wannabe
  • Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

As I'm finding out to my displeasure if you have a water pipeline running through a province area you'll have quite a few people tap into it.  The one's from Puerto Galera to Sabang are like a sieve as are the ones in Suli where I now live.  Three times I've had to get the municipality out to walk the pipes to find the reason why my water pressure was next to zero.  I finally just last Monday got them to run a short pipe into new 8 inch diameter metal supply line to my house. It was meant to be Friday then Saturday before they finally arrived on Monday after kicking a stink up. In total 5 days without water.

You might need that machine gun tower after all. :571b119686cf7_1(72):

The pipe mostly runs through the land owned by indigenous peoples , they have been paid off and my gf has a working relationship with them ,she tells me that the tribes are paid to look after the water for the city ,so I'm hoping i don't have many problems with peoplebstealing my water

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

runs through the land owned by indigenous peoples

Filipinos? 

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I looked into that in depth a few years back.  The amount of electricity you can generate from a creek running through it is a pittance due to the DENR regulations that would prohibit you from building a dam.  BUT if you are in a hilly area and you can find a creek running from up high to down low you can tap into the water at the high point, run it through a pipe to a mini-hydro generator and release the water back to the stream.  Its the pressure of the height and the diameter of the pipe that determines the amount of power you can generate but if that is available to you it has the grid and solar and wind beat.

I'm planning to do that , the creek runs through my property , I'm hoping I can find a head of water due to the height/drop calls to power a hydro generator , like you said it knocks the socks off of solar , there's a couple of big hydro projects going in at palawan starting very soon 

• Love it 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Filipinos? 

There are two tribes in the area , one tribe is called the mountain people and the other tribe  the river people ,they are the indigenous " Indians " to Mindanao.  My gf has dealings with them in her professional capacity , they were quite happy when they found out who she was ,they have promised to look after the spring source for us and notify us of any problems 

I can't remember their philipinos names for the tribes , duerties government look after them ,they have their own ancestral lands on mount Apo

Rooster
Posted
Posted
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:58 PM, bastonjock said:

Hi guys

Well looks like the construction of my dwelling in the Jungle has started ,it has taken a few weeks to get the water and electricity run in ,so far they have run in over one kilometer of water pipe to the house and have just finished a water tank ,we had to build a small bang house so that the electricity could be connected to a structure 

received_2700457776646453.jpegreceived_1888175178157825.jpeg

received_553743451721647.jpegreceived_2130886000288953.jpeg

Have you obtained a water permit or inquired at your local DENR prior to investing in your water utilization plan?

Google Philippine water code

https://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2004/ra_9275_2004.html

It only takes 1 complaint from 1 farmer, piggery, chicken farm etc. ratting to the DENR that a Foreigner is diverting/using water needed for their livelihood.

It may be more prudent to create a deep well on your location. 

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Not disputing your calcs as it's obviously based on individual consumption, but I got a quote a year back (system without battery storage so no good in a brownout anyway) and it would be nearer a 10 year repayment term. Based on system maintenance costs/ typhoon damage risk etc etc we didn't proceed. The 25 year warranty is great IF the company is still around. 

Well the 3 years is based on buying the panels/inverter and just having a local electrician install it, would of been 4-5 years this time last year but my electric is up from 9 to 12 pesos now.
I didn't factor in typhoons to be fair lol but hopefully they'll be ok.

• Like 1