Health Costs - the big ones...

jimeve
Posted
Posted

If an expat has been out of the UK for more than 3 months is not entitled to "free" NHS. However, he/she may have to pay.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, jimeve said:

If an expat has been out of the UK for more than 3 months is not entitled to "free" NHS. However, he/she may have to pay.

Yes Jim

I personally find that hard to accept, that anyone who has worked all their lives, paid Taxes and National insurance contributions cannot come back and receive medical attention if required....so what happens after brexit for those left in Europe?

Time will tell :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Mick
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Yes Jim

I personally find that hard to accept, that anyone who has worked all their lives, paid Taxes and National insurance contributions cannot come back and receive medical attention if required....so what happens after brexit for those left in Europe?

No Hospital is allowed to turn away a sick person in the UK, I was also informed if you have a NI number then you have no problems, also an address there, such as a relitive. Health tourists going there are chased for payment. But only a handful are are ever paid, that's why the NHS is in a mess

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mick said:

No Hospital is allowed to turn away a sick person in the UK, I was also informed if you have a NI number then you have no problems, also an address there, such as a relitive. Health tourists going there are chased for payment. But only a handful are are ever paid, that's why the NHS is in a mess

I have wondered about thus before.  When I was in the UK, I was never asked to provide proof of residence when I used the NHS.  I suppose they could/would cross check your NI record at some point? 

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I still have a correspondence address in the UK that I use, which is also the same one that my UK doctor has. Every time I go back to the UK I get regular check-ups, various screening programmes etc. I have just had a cataract op and due another one on my other eye next spring when I next go back. And I return to phils with a three month supply of all my meds including insulin which is a great saving.

I have never had an issue despite spending more time here than the UK since retiring. I spent over 40 years paying into the NHS so feel absolutely entitled despite the efforts of successive governments to try and deprive me of what I have paid dearly for over the years.

All patient records are computerised nowadays so should I ever need hospitalisation there I already have a current record so cannot foresee any issues at all

It does mean traveling to the UK at least once a year to avail myself of these services but I think its certainly worth it. See all the family, send balikbayan boxes and enjoy a different climate again.

The nett cost is very reasonable and could potentially save tens of thousands of pounds in medical costs.

Ken

• Like 4

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

My buddy has worked out the numbers and it's cheaper for him to fly home and load up with his meds before returning to the Phil's, he has a lot of medical problems 

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, jimeve said:

Wow really Jim I'm shocked - you mean even if ones NI stamps are all fully paid up?

Also how would the 'NHS' itself know how long you have been out of the country for?

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Yes Jim

Plus the world and his wife seems to come here as Health Tourists.

Just turn up at any A&E with some BS story and get a temporary NHS number - bingo free healthcare!

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mick said:

Precisely.

CockneyRebel
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, hk blues said:

I have wondered about thus before.  When I was in the UK, I was never asked to provide proof of residence when I used the NHS.  I suppose they could/would cross check your NI record at some point? 

What with the NHS IT system - they will need to shovel extra coal in for that to happen!