Memory and its Fallibility

Gator
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Happyhorn52 said:

It's waiting 36 years, then coming forward without any specifics that's bothering me. Someone needs to investigate the money flow into her bank account over the last 90 days as I suspect she has been paid handsomely for coming forward and wrecking the precedings. 

She testified that she brought up the allegation twice before. Once in 2012 during a marriage counseling session with her husband and again in 2103 during a solo counseling session. During both sessions she did NOT mention any names - only what allegedly happened. Her husband allegedly recalls her mentioning Kavenaugh’s name in 2012, but he did not document that until now. Odd coincidence that Kavanaugh’s name was being floated for the Supreme Court in 2012? I think not.

Not just her bank accounts, but the source of the $’s being sent to the go fund me accounts set up for her need to be looked into.

14 hours ago, Mike J said:

Getting back to the original post - it is entirely possible that both individuals are telling the truth as they remember it.  And that is the  challenge of finding out "facts" with potential "false memories".  I would expect that one side or the other will cry foul regardless of what the final FBI report shows.

Quite true and let’s not forget how alcohol can cloud both one’s memory and judgement. They both admit to heavy drinking during that era. 

13 hours ago, CoffeeRulzMe said:

He's been investigated 6 times by the FBI already - nothing found. These are thorough investigations; knocking on neighbors doors asking questions, digging to past, etc. for security clearances, Fed positions, posts, etc. This call for another is a political stall.

Agree. What has not yet been fully answered is why Feinstein sat on the allegation for 4-5 weeks. She only says she wanted to respect Ford’s wishes for confidentiality.  It should be noted that Maryland has no statute of limitations for sex crimes and, although it’s not as serious as rape, it’s still a serious crime. So why did she sit on it? Especially considering that anyone being considered for the Supreme Court should IMHO be held to a higher standard.

Feinstein could have had it investigated in confidence or asked Kavenaugh directly about it during the hour plus long  private interview she held with him. Instead she sat on it and waited to leak it or wait/arrange for it to be leaked.  

12 hours ago, CoffeeRulzMe said:

I'm curious, did anyone watch all of Kavanugh 38 minute opening statement this week?  Or do most just rely on what the mainstream media talking heads say?

Yes, I happened to be in hotel and off from work, so I watched it in its entirety. I found it very interesting and enlightening. What you don’t see mentioned much (if at all) is that Kavanaugh kept a diary of sorts - in the form of a calendar. No where in it is any mention of a gathering as described by Ford. 

Both of their testimony’s were compelling, but body language tells me that Kavenaugh was being more truthful. We’ve all heard the old adage “there’s nothing worse then a woman’s scorn”. I sincerely believe that’s occasionally the reason for some of the allegations brought forth by woman. What you also don’t hear in the left leaning main stream media is how often allegations of sexual misconduct are false. 

Back to the OP’s topic - I can recall with all clarity the traumatic events of my life, but could not tell you what parties I may have attended in 1982 or who else was there. At least not without something to jog  my memory. 

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Gator said:

At least not without something to jog  my memory. 

It seems to me lately that a lot of memories have been jogged by money,a very sad state of affairs indeed.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Sad 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The alleged incident took place a long time ago.  No way to prove or disprove whether or not it ever happened. 

Kavanaugh's vulnerability in the FBI's supplementary investigation is whether or not, under oath, he lied about his drinking problem before the committee.  The FBI will ask high school and college classmates if he was ever known to drink in excess -- to the point of being unable to remember or passing out. He claims this has never happened. 

Everyone has also taken sides based on party affiliation. The decisive votes are two female Republican Senators. One flip and the US Senate is tied 50/50. Vice-President Mike Pence shows up to break the tie.  Two flips, they will have to start the process all over. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

The FBI will ask high school and college classmates if he was ever known to drink in excess -- to the point of being unable to remember or passing out. He claims this has never happened

Of course he would claim this never happened as he would be unable to remember, which is my point from the beginning.  We cannot rely on memories to tell us what happened at a drunken party 40 years ago.  Everyone there will remember it differently.

But watching a Facebook Video last night I see that Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas went through just about exactly the same kind of accusation in 1991 and it turned out fine for him.  Maybe the same will hold true and this is just a tempest in the media.

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

About 45 years ago, while a student, I was robbed at knife point by someone that I vaguely knew from the neighborhood where I lived. I was positive he was going to kill me - which was his intention - to scare and intimidate. After an hour of scouring the apt. I shared with 2 fellow students, he tied me up, locked the door and left. I got out of the ropes in about an hour and instantly fell asleep. The next morning I yelled and screamed and got let out of my apt. I immediately went to a payphone and called the police. I was scared to death and rambled incoherently but it was important to get it down right away.

What's odd (going back to Dave's original question) is that now over 40 years later there are aspects of the robbery that I remember like it was yesterday. But I no longer remember the guy's name or what he looked like. I could run into him tomorrow (unlikely in the Philippines) and never know.

The memory does play tricks. I know for sure that I was robbed and robbed violently but I would hate to give testimony based on my faulty memory.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, davewe said:

About 45 years ago, while a student, I was robbed at knife point by someone that I vaguely knew from the neighborhood where I lived.

Yes, an intense moment like that usually can't be forgotten, but parts certainly can.

I had a similar incident around 1980.  I was driving a delivery truck on a long out of town route, so I would start loading my truck around midnight and depart about 2-3 am.  The only other person in the warehouse was the security guard, who was unarmed.  The bad guy probably cased the place for a few nights to figure out we were an easy mark.

What I remember and don't remember:

-  The security guard and I walked out of an office area into the warehouse, and were surprised by this guy with a gun.

-  The gunman wore a skimask and was black.

-  The gun was loaded as I could see the bullets in the cylinder

-  He held the gun to the back of my head while he frisked me.  I'll never forget that feeling of helplessness.

-  I knew the security guard on a first name basis for a few years.  His face is etched in my mind but for the life of me I can't remember his name.

-  He locked us in a small CR and threatened to shoot us if we came out, while he ransacked the office.  We didn't come out until we though he was gone.

-  We called the police and they came and took a report.  I can't remember anything about the police part.  Faces, questions, etc.  All blank.

-  I can't remember if I went ahead and finished my work, driving the truck out on the route.  I was a dedicated guy, so I think I did but don't have specific memory of it.

Perhaps I could remember more if I went under hypnosis?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, an intense moment like that usually can't be forgotten, but parts certainly can.

I had a similar incident around 1980.  I was driving a delivery truck on a long out of town route, so I would start loading my truck around midnight and depart about 2-3 am.  The only other person in the warehouse was the security guard, who was unarmed.  The bad guy probably cased the place for a few nights to figure out we were an easy mark.

What I remember and don't remember:

Perhaps I could remember more if I went under hypnosis?

Apparently couples therapy brings it all out :)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, davewe said:

Apparently couples therapy brings it all out :)

Tried it yet??:tongue:

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Obama has admitted to taking illegal drugs during his younger and wilder days, and drinking to excess is a subjective term, so I don't know how this is relevant to the confirmation process. 

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/30/2018 at 7:07 PM, Happyhorn52 said:

It's waiting 36 years, then coming forward without any specifics that's bothering me. Someone needs to investigate the money flow into her bank account over the last 90 days as I suspect she has been paid handsomely for coming forward and wrecking the precedings. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/christine-blasey-ford-gofundme-brett-kavanaugh-allegations-senate-testimony/

She is going to be a millionaire. Soros tied Gofundme accounts have already raised the money.

Anyway, FBI report out.  Nothing new. Vote is on Saturday. He will be confirmed.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1