Memory and its Fallibility

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Let's wait for the FBI investigation. Although being rushed, it may shed some light to whose is telling the truth

Getting back to the original post - it is entirely possible that both individuals are telling the truth as they remember it.  And that is the  challenge of finding out "facts" with potential "false memories".  I would expect that one side or the other will cry foul regardless of what the final FBI report shows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Getting back to the original post - it is entirely possible that both individuals are telling the truth as they remember it.  And that is the  challenge of finding out "facts" with potential "false memories".  I would expect that one side or the other will cry foul regardless of what the final FBI report shows.

I think Brett Kavanaugh will be nominated to the US Supreme Court no matter what because the Republicans currently have the vote. The fight is really about how women voters will react and which party they will support during the mid-term elections. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

It's waiting 36 years, then coming forward without any specifics that's bothering me. Someone needs to investigate the money flow into her bank account over the last 90 days as I suspect she has been paid handsomely for coming forward and wrecking the precedings. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/christine-blasey-ford-gofundme-brett-kavanaugh-allegations-senate-testimony/

With all due respect HappyHorn this is an excellent example of why a past victim of sexual assault fears to come forward and be the first accuser of someone in power.  Where would Bill Cosby be if one of the victims did not have the courage to come forward after so many years?  

• Thanks 1

CoffeeRulzMe
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Let's wait for the FBI investigation. Although being rushed, it may shed some light to whose is telling the truth.

Best commentary is from Saturday Nigh Live (SNL). One of the comedians said, "The hearings is a job interview. Why are you telling everyone how much you love to drink beer?" 

He's been investigated 6 times by the FBI already - nothing found. These are thorough investigations; knocking on neighbors doors asking questions, digging to past, etc. for security clearances, Fed positions, posts, etc. This call for another is a political stall.

Edited by CoffeeRulzMe
  • Like 2

CoffeeRulzMe
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/29/2018 at 12:34 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Watching the news from CNN, it seems the entire country of United States is up in arms because a certain lady remembers certain traumatic events from 45 years ago when she was 15 and she is Absolutely Certain she remembers it correctly.

In my own personal experience, I have had a number of traumatic events happen to me in my teens and twenties and 40 to 50 years later I was Absolutely Certain of the details of those events.  I mean, how could one forget the details of such traumatic events (which I don't wish to go into details about as we all have our own bad memories). 

deleted my original comment.  Dave, agree with your OP.   As far as news coverage, well it's like the title of a old western movie; The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

Edited by CoffeeRulzMe
  • Thanks 1

CoffeeRulzMe
Posted
Posted

I'm curious, did anyone watch all of Kavanugh 38 minute opening statement this week?  Or do most just rely on what the mainstream media talking heads say?

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
On 9/29/2018 at 6:17 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its all related.  I just have difficulty accepting that the angry, victimized women can rely 100% on their memory for all the details.  Making accusations of a crime, without any proof other than an infallible memory, is as terrorizing to the accused (especially if not guilty).

If these victims are going to ask that charges of a criminal act be made then I am all for it.  But that will require verification that should have been researched before the allegations were made.  Otherwise, I suspect the accused has a case for libel.  Not that the libel case would help after his life has been ruined.

If we let this accusation derail this nominee, what kind of message are we sending to people who have no business being on the Supreme Court?

And everyone knows a woman's certainty is worth only 78% of a man's certainty.

Credit to The Onion.

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Just how does one investigate a 36 year old high school party?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Happyhorn52 said:

Just how does one investigate a 36 year old high school party?

Scratching Head.jpg  :popcorn:

• Thanks 1