Do you need to carry legal documents to stay in PI's all the time

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Just of late I've been doing a bit of research on whether you have to carry your passport, visa extensions, work permits or permanent residency identification card with you when out and about. I can't seem to find any information on it or I've missed it somewhere.

What prompted this was the crack down by the BI deporting illegal immigrants over a wide range of offences. Here's a link as to the BI crackdown.

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Never leave home without them.

1200px-1000_Philippine_Peso_Bill_2018.png

Haha,...yes those three lawyers can get you out of a lot of trouble I've been told.  I haven't had to use them yet but keep on retainer,... in my wallet.:hystery:

Edited by intrepid
  • Haha 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Clermont, I think that I remember that as an expat you're only supposed to carry around with you your Alien Certificate of Registration Identity card (ACR-I Card) I guess the chip inside has the information that the government requires. I don't always carry mine though, because I imagine there would be hell to pay to get it replaced if I lost it.:smile:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I don't know the rules, but all I carry is my ACR card. Passport stays at home in the safe if I am not crossing the border (or going to BI for something)

• Like 2

Mick
Posted
Posted

As I only still come here as a tourist, as I'm normally flying around for work, I never carry anything, my biggest problem here is traffic police, paid many a black fine for coding, my car is coded Wednesday but now in Manila each area has its own, last Thursday I'm going to the BI office in Manila, to extend my visa for the first time. As I'm getting married next week so not travelling and I crossed over the new yellow lines for buses as I needed to turn right, I was stopped as I entered the yellow lane 10m too early.... :571c66d400c8c_1(103):they wanted my ID and licence I informed them I'm a tourist, I dont carry a passport for security reasons, and my licence does not belong to the LTO, so it's illegal for them to take it, after 15 mins of me refusing to give cash, as I told them to write the ticket, as I'm a tourist, so how will I pay. Then then told me to piss off. And don't cross yellow lines again.... 

• Like 3

Lou49
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I don't know the rules, but all I carry is my ACR card. Passport stays at home in the safe if I am not crossing the border (or going to BI for something)

I carry a photo copy of both. 

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lou49 said:

That is good advice.  An American friend lost his US passport in Cebu many years ago.  He had to file a police report before he could get a new one issued (what he told me anyway).  He told me the police required a photocopy of his passport before they could file a report so we should all keep a copy somewhere, whether we carry it on us or not.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lou49 said:

Thanks for the reminder!  I had not made a copy of my newest ACR card so I just made nifty copies of my passport and ACR for storage in my wallet (and the computer).  Originals will go in the safe now.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That is good advice.  An American friend lost his US passport in Cebu many years ago.  He had to file a police report before he could get a new one issued (what he told me anyway).  He told me the police required a photocopy of his passport before they could file a report so we should all keep a copy somewhere, whether we carry it on us or not.

I don't know if its a great idea or not but along with photo copies I have pictures of our driver's license, passports, and my acr card on my smart phone.  I usually never home without it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2