How do I use VPN on a SMART TV?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I would like to use VPN on my Samsung SMART TV so that I can watch some content such as Amazon Prime that is blocked now.  I can watch Amazon Prime on my laptop using VPN.

I know that it is possible in many cases to install VPN on a router (in this case my PLDT Fibr brand new router) so that the whole house gets VPN, but that is not really an option for me.

Are their other options?  I have an older WIFI router.  Could I install VPN on it and plug it into my FIBR router, then run the TV from the second WIFI?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes, I saw that link before and those methods won't work for me directly.  My next TV might be an Android TV which makes it simple.

I think I will dig up my old WIFI router and see if I can flash it, then hook it up to the FIBR router.  Nothing to lose because the old router is just in a drawer some place, so if I screw it up, no worries.

• 4 months later...
John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted

I am going to set up a new TV and internet connection when I go over in April but have no idea of the pit falls, I am thinking the Smart net work with a new TV should be easy to set up & have an internet connection, I have no idea if I am right, if any of you guys know the best way to do this please let me know. Thanks

Gary D
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, John Chamberlain said:

I am going to set up a new TV and internet connection when I go over in April but have no idea of the pit falls, I am thinking the Smart net work with a new TV should be easy to set up & have an internet connection, I have no idea if I am right, if any of you guys know the best way to do this please let me know. Thanks

Do smart do landlines, do your neighbours have internet. A bit of research to be done once yiu are on the ground. Nothing is a given in the Philippines.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Don, is there a way to display the laptop onto your TV? 

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Google "VPN on Samsung Smart TV"... there's one that give some decent instructions.... curious here of it works out.

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Gary D said:

Do smart do landlines, do your neighbours have internet. A bit of research to be done once yiu are on the ground. Nothing is a given in the Philippines.

Many thanks, I have a brother in law who trained in electronics so I hope he will be able to help  me, I am useless with tech type stuff:smile:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Old55 said:

My Globe provided wifi router is not configurable, so I VPN my laptop and plug it in to the TV.  Works great.  I will sometimes Chromecast it, but just plugging in the 15 pin works better.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Old55 said:

There probably is but I have never tried.  I can "cast" a movie file to the TV but it is a bit cumbersome to pause, etc.

Currently we are using the SMART TV BOX I posted about and really like.  It turns your TV into an Android TV for only p1200 or something like that.

To the OP, you should have no problems using the internet on your TV, but if you want to stream video, you need decent internet.

• Like 1