State pension ( British )

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I've checked my uk pension and I get the standard amount ,what pee me of is that I am still making full contributions and I get nothing extra even if I was to pay them for the next 5.5 years 

Fortunately I have a couple of private pensions and other sources of income

Yep - if you are working in the UK you keep paying NI until retirement age even if you have reached the maximum.  If you're overseas then you can stop paying once you reach the maximum 35 years

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I have some gaps in the years and too late to pay (over 6 years ago) I have over 35 years but some years are not complete. I have done a pension check and I think it said I would receive £155 a week if I continued to pay till I'm 65 and a half. I retired last year due to wobbly knees lol. some of those years I mentioned are a few weeks short.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

I have some gaps in the years and too late to pay (over 6 years ago) I have over 35 years but some years are not complete. I have done a pension check and I think it said I would receive £155 a week if I continued to pay till I'm 65 and a half. I retired last year due to wobbly knees lol. some of those years I mentioned are a few weeks short.

You can contact them and ask for a quotation to make up missed years as there was an extension granted a couple of years ago to extend beyond the 7 years.  It may not be worth it if the cost to buy additional years is high as it's a simple gamble that you will live long enough to recover what you've paid! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It may not be worth it if the cost to buy additional years is high as it's a simple gamble that you will live long enough to recover what you've paid!  

So true, if you can live on what you have saved and the pension you will receive i think its better that way,

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, stevewool said:

So true, if you can live on what you have saved and the pension you will receive i think its better that way,

That's what decided me to come to live here rather than sit it out in Hong Kong/UK - my finite income goes further and hopefully the heart gives out before the money does! :tongue:

• Like 2

Alleycat
Posted
Posted

This is great information; I have just checked my position; the estimate is that I will receive 129.11 per week but I can increase this up to a maximum of 164.35 if I pay 741 by 5 April 2024 (presumably this will increase because I don't currently pay NI).

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Alleycat said:

This is great information; I have just checked my position; the estimate is that I will receive 129.11 per week but I can increase this up to a maximum of 164.35 if I pay 741 by 5 April 2024 (presumably this will increase because I don't currently pay NI).

How did you check this, do you have a link?

Alleycat
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

How did you check this, do you have a link?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doug B
Posted
Posted

Some great info here, thank's guy's :thumbsup:

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just had another look and noticed this. Your COPE estimate is £4.98 a week. I have been contracted out! PLus my estimate for state pension 145 pounds.

Edited by jimeve
wrong sum of money