State pension ( British )

jimeve
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Alleycat said:

This is great information; I have just checked my position; the estimate is that I will receive 129.11 per week but I can increase this up to a maximum of 164.35 if I pay 741 by 5 April 2024 (presumably this will increase because I don't currently pay NI).

Just had another look, I can't find where it states, giving me an option to pay extra NI contributions! I was self employed for most of my working life, so that may make a difference?  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I can't find where it states, giving me an option to pay extra NI contributions! 

Jim have a Read of this it should help;

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Jim have a Read of this it should help;

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions

Missed the dead-line of over 6 years, You can usually pay voluntary contributions for the past 6 years. The deadline is 5 April each year.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Missed the dead-line of over 6 years, You can usually pay voluntary contributions for the past 6 years. The deadline is 5 April each year.

You can start making voluntary contributions anytime, but can only backdate 6 years. As I said before, in my case it wasn't worth catching up on anything before 2016 due to changes made to the State Pension from that date so it may be worth contacting them to clarify your own situation rather than making payments that may not actually give you any benefit.  Also, a reminder that once you have made the maximum contributions there is no point paying any further voluntary contributions.  Really better for you to get in touch for a review of your specific situation as it gets complicated. 

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

it may be worth contacting them to clarify your own situation rather than making payments that may not actually give you any benefit.  Also, a reminder that once you have made the maximum contributions there is no point paying any further voluntary contributions.  Really better for you to get in touch for a review of your specific situation as it gets complicated.  

Best advice ever, yes it may be a little hard and long in getting to the right person, but once you have they do give out very good advice , i would rather speak to a person then read a page anyday.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Best advice ever, yes it may be a little hard and long in getting to the right person, but once you have they do give out very good advice , i would rather speak to a person then read a page anyday.

If anyone needs contact number/address they can let me know and I'm happy to pass on - it can be difficult to pin down the correct people to talk to

• Like 2