When being too Literal can go so very wrong!

Foreigner
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sadly, not reviewing birth certificates (before and after they’re submitted to the NSO) seems to be more common than not in the Philippines.

Fortunately, I caught a big mistake on my son’s birth certificate. They had incorrectly listed my nationality as Filipino, which I’m not—I’m an American.     In my case, the information was corrected.

If I hadn’t checked the birth certificate at the hospital, the NSO copy would have been wrong and my son could had his American citizenship denied by the US Embassy when I filed for his CRBA.

Edited by Foreigner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

Confusing as in how could anyone be that stupid to not know Baby Boy of Baby Girl was not part of a name or that this was not noticed when they took it down.

Might be the way the forms are that the person filled out. Might be confusing to read as to put where. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Foreigner said:

Sadly, not reviewing birth certificates (before and after they’re submitted to the NSO) seems to be more common than not in the Philippines.

Fortunately, I caught a big mistake on my son’s birth certificate. They had incorrectly listed my nationality as Filipino, which I’m not—I’m an American.     In my case, the information was corrected.

If I hadn’t checked the birth certificate at the hospital, the NSO copy would have been wrong and my son could had his American citizenship denied by the US Embassy when I filed for his CRBA.

My wife had a BC error and it took 2-3 years to correct it.  Missing one letter in her given name.  She lived with it for years and all of her IDs, except passport, had the correct spelling.  Before we married she decided to get the BC fixed so that she could eventually have her correct name on her passport.  The guy at the local registrar in her hometown said his hands were tied because he was not the official registrar, who was to be appointed.  So that is why it took so long.  Eventually he was appointed!

When my two kids were born here, the hospital records office was good about this.  They typed everything up and had us review it all before it was finalized.  I think we caught one error and I think it also was that I was stated as Filipino!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Pray tell me what you both found so confusing

Naw Jack that was just the closest emote I could find easily that was like,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,OMG lolol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Might be the way the forms are that the person filled out

I can easily see why the person put the tag name in there, you have to admit that some folks here use hmmm, imaginative name for their kids lolol :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Yep, that sounds like the Philippines! My wife and her sister have a different spelling for thier last name. Now I finally know why! Thank you Jack!

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, scott h said:

I can easily see why the person put the tag name in there, you have to admit that some folks here use hmmm, imaginative name for their kids lolol :hystery:

Scott, excellent point! I think that explains why.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

My neighbor has a girlfriend living with him for the past year or so and has taught her how to drive a scooter.  She was refused a driver license when her birth certificate showed her to be a male.  So they had to try and get a corrected birth certificate.  First trip "You need proof".  They went back with certified statement from a doctor that she had "all female genitalia".  That was determined not to be good enough.  When back with certified statement from a doctor that she had "all female genitalia, was not a transexual, and was born a female, and is now a female".  Not good enough.  Went back with results of a sonogram and certified statement saying all internal organs are consistent with a natural born female.  They are waiting while the case is being reviewed. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Only in Da Philippines! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
earthdome
Posted
Posted

This seems to be very common. My wife had to fix her BC before she could get her first passport. She had been listed as a male with the wrong birth date. Her youngest sister also has a problem which to this point hasn't been fixed and has prevented her from getting a passport. Heard that it takes 6-12 months to fix and an appearance before a judge.

• Sad 1