Whole Wheat Flour in Angeles or Dau?

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

WOW.  Thanks guys.  That is something I never knew or gave the slightest thought to.  I am not a cook!  I just keep a small amount of flour around in the event I feel like crepes on a Sunday morning.  It never occurred to me to check it for bugs before using it but I sure will now.  I will Google them little critters now.  Are the bugs in the flour large enough to see easily (with old guy eyes)?

EDIT:  The google images look like they are tiny critters so its possible I could use the flour without seeing the bugs.  Are the safe to accidentally eat and do they change the taste?  Sounds strange but my old eyes need glasses to eat or I could be eating ants with my food.  Sucks to be me LOL.

Hi Dave,   I don't often see any bugs in my flour. One time a small bag of local whole wheat flour that had a lot. If there were they'd probably be just little black seedlike dots. You'd see them I'm sure.:smile: They wouldn"t hurt you I'll bet, but who needs them!  You know like when you rinse rice grain out before you cook it in case there were some little bugs in the rice.  Seeing as you only use your flour sometimes, you might want to keep it in a ziplock bag in the freezer or ref. Any grains and nuts can go rancid/sour in this tropical heat or even lose some nutrients or flavor.

Sorry to go off topic a bit PurpleHaze.:smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PurpleHaze
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

Hi Dave,   I don't often see any bugs in my flour. One time a small bag of local whole wheat flour that had a lot. If there were they'd probably be just little black seedlike dots. You'd see them I'm sure.:smile: They wouldn"t hurt you I'll bet, but who needs them!  You know like when you rinse rice grain out before you cook it in case there were some little bugs in the rice.  Seeing as you only use your flour sometimes, you might want to keep it in a ziplock bag in the freezer or ref. Any grains and nuts can go rancid/sour in this tropical heat or even lose some nutrients or flavor.

Sorry to go off topic a bit PurpleHaze.:smile:

No problem, it's all related and useful info.

I also always keep nuts and flour in the fridge here.

Years ago I was finding little worms that developed into small moths in my rice which I store at room temp in plastic. A friend told me to put it in the freezer for a few days and it works great, kills the eggs. So when I buy new rice I always do that now and after a few days in the freezer no more problems at room temp. When you wash it any dead eggs wash away (I hope :laugh:).

I always like to keep whole wheat flout on hand in the fridge for an occasional Apple Crisp (great apple pie substitute and healthier) but been a long time since I made bread so wanted to get back into it. Been buying the Gardenia whole wheat bread here for years and it's OK but miss the homemade stuff, just a lot more flavorful, plus you have a better idea of what you're eating if you make it yourself.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Are the safe to accidentally eat and do they change the taste? 

Just adds a little body to the mix. :whistling:

• Haha 3

insite
Posted
Posted

THIS WILL GET RID OF THE LITTLE BUGGERS

1. Freeze the Flour

It seems strange when we talk about freezing the flour, but it is an excellent remedy and easy to implement. The pest experts suggest that the flour must be sealed in the freezer bags after bringing home. These bags must be kept in the freezer for four days. By doing this the real eggs and weevils get killed in no time

2. Place a Dried Bay Leaf in Each Container or Bag

Bay leaves are an excellent remedy against the pests and insects of all kinds. They are an equally great solution against the flour weevil. There is no need to take some bay leaves; a single one can work a great deal. Just place the dry bay leaf in the container or a bag of flour to prevent the weevil growth.

3. Keep Flour in Canister Type Lidded Containers

Don’t leave the flour open or in broken containers. As the weevils grow in the warm and humid environment, therefore it is important to use the containers with tight lids. The containers with tight lids keep the weevils away and also prevent the weevils to lay eggs in the flour. Thus, it stops the reproduction cycle of the weevil and ceases the development of the pests in the flour.

• Thanks 1

insite
Posted
Posted

I am looking for coarse whole wheat flour - anyone know where this can be bought ?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, insite said:

I am looking for coarse whole wheat flour - anyone know where this can be bought ?

Great Pity that this Topic is not  brought up by Negros members, and Dumaguete in particular, we have a Bakery supply company here called "YANYAN" and they have all types of Flour including what is sought here, I would suggest that those interested seek out bakery supplies :89:

• Like 1

insite
Posted
Posted

Tried the local suppliers in Davao - they had it twice but no longer

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

San Miguel foods have it so investigate that.

https://greatfoodsolutions.com/products/whole-wheat-flour

• 5 weeks later...
earthdome
Posted
Posted

My wife wants to bring some food stuffs back to the US when we return in a few weeks. A special rice from the province and smoked fish. Now wouldn't my luck be that the rice is not allowed due to a problem with khapra beetle's but she can bring as much smoked fish as she wants for personal use. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Haha 2