Voluntary Work on a Tourist Visa.

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

As I am here in the Phils on a tourist visa i am of the belief that it is not allowed for me to do voluntary unpaid charitable work in the Philippines.  I have had the discussion before with friends here on this subject and it has been pointed out quite clearly that its not allowed and if the BI got wind of it I could possibly be deported and possibly blacklisted.

OK, just to clarify I have no intention of taking such a risk...... BUT.... my question is this....

Does anybody know of a foreigner on a TOURIST VISA that fell foul of this ruling?  Did they get a verbal warning OR were they deported etc? 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have heard tales, but they went in one ear and out the other.  Its one of those areas where people are going to do what they are going to do and its like the helmet law.  For years they don't enforce it and one day they are giving out extreme penalties for not wearing one.  So its my opinion that you have to remember where we are, keep a low profile, know there is a law about it somewhere and take whatever risks you are ready to take.

As an analogy, I helped Lynne a little bit when she wanted to start a used clothing business.  I figured everyone does it and they don't enforce the rules.  If you look around you would think that is surely the case, until you ask Roy what he is being deported for.  Part of the charge is:  Foreigner working in illegal ukay ukay business.  And yet he was just helping out his c/l wife.  Well he's screwed now but if you had asked me 6 months ago I would have said no one gets charged for that.

So it's up to you.  I have nothing to do with any of Lynne's business choices now.  Not in the slightest.  It's too risky when a foreigner goes afoul of the law and someone decides they want to get at you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

As I am here in the Phils on a tourist visa i am of the belief that it is not allowed for me to do voluntary unpaid charitable work in the Philippines.  I have had the discussion before with friends here on this subject and it has been pointed out quite clearly that its not allowed and if the BI got wind of it I could possibly be deported and possibly blacklisted.

OK, just to clarify I have no intention of taking such a risk...... BUT.... my question is this....

Does anybody know of a foreigner on a TOURIST VISA that fell foul of this ruling?  Did they get a verbal warning OR were they deported etc? 

No but like everything there will be a time when there are crack downs. You only got to look at the main page of the BI website to see working without the correct visa is on the hit list at the moment.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Rooster
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

I know guys who are on Tourist Visa's & do volunteer work at organizations like the VFW, American Legion, Churches. The claims I've heard is those on Tourist Visa's are allowed to volunteer as long as they don't hold a position of power or don't get reimbursed for their expenses as a volunteer  and I've also heard Volunteering on a tourist visa is against the law unless one has a 47 (a)(2) special non immigrant visa which I believe to be the only legal way a foreigner can legally do volunteer work in the PI.  

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular-services-2/visa/47-a-2-special-non-immigrant-visa

Have you considered going to your local immigration office? Explain what you want to volunteer for and see if they allow it.

Or you could end up like this guy.

https://businessmirror.com.ph/extortion-and-deportation-at-the-hands-of-the-philippine-bureau-of-immigration/

• Thanks 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

You'd probably be fine but not worth the risk. I recently had a very stressful 6 weeks after being blacklisted for supposedly being rude to an immigration officer, they don't always issue warnings first.
Lucky my wife knows a few people that helped sort it out or I'd probably be eating chicken feet and getting my head kicked in by Koreans in their detention facility lol. Still ended up taking ages to sort out and having to pay a 35k peso fine to have it removed.
Just not worth the risk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1