Phil-Health

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

info regarding how 1 can obtain philhealth.

again your experience may vary from what is posted.

If your able, take your GF or partner with you.

if married you can be added to your wives policy

5. Can a foreign national enroll as an Individually Paying Member?

YES, the Implementing Rules and Regulations of RA 7875, as amended by RA 9241, provides for the inclusion to the National Health Insurance Program the citizens of other countries residing and/or working in the Philippines.

If the foreign national is employed, he/she shall be registered under the Employed Sector Program. Meanwhile, if he/she is self-employed or merely residing in the country, he/she may enroll as an Individually Paying Member.

He/she only needs to accomplish and submit to any PhilHealth office, the PhilHealth Member Registration Form (PMRF) and a photocopy of his/her Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) issued by the Bureau of Immigration (BI) to prove his/her residency in the country.

Benefits and availment concerns

1. I am a new member. When will I become eligible to avail of PhilHealth benefits?

For one to become eligible for the benefits, payment of at least three (3) months within the immediate six (6) months prior to the month of confinement shall be required. However, payment of at least nine months within the last 12 months shall be asked of Individually Paying Members availing of the following procedures/packages:

• • Pregnancy-related cases
  • • Dialysis (except those undergoing emergency dialysis service during confinement)
  • • Chemotherapy
  • • Cataract Extraction
  • • Radiotherapy
  • • Selected surgical procedures

Individually Paying Members and Employed Members will now be required to have at least nine (9) months contributions within twelve (12) months prior to the month of availment for all confinements including availment of outpatient benefits).

http://www.philhealt...aying/faqs.html

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I was asking someone a few months ago about PhilHealth and if they thought it was worth me getting it or not...

Their reply? "Shut up. Get it. Don't argue."

Short and sweet and I responded "Yes, Ate".

Today I thought back on that conversation and what I have learned in the meantime and realize just how accurate they were. So, for the little bit it costs, and to decide if you should have it? I'll leave you with these few immortal words... Shut up. Get it. Don't argue!

:tiphat:

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
Today I thought back on that conversation and what I have learned in the meantime and realize just how accurate they were. So, for the little bit it costs, and to decide if you should have it? I'll leave you with these few immortal words... Shut up. Get it. Don't argue!

Yes, phil health costs are low. But I haven't seen much discussion on availability and quality of service.

For me, having had 2 major health issues in 2010, quality of care is important to me and I am willing to pay more, if I can afford it, to get that quality care.

Fortunately I can maintain good health coverage with my employer as a retiree which I can use anywhere in the world. Just have to pay up front and get reimbursed for expenses outside of USA. I am going with the lower cost plan with higher deductibles but using tax free money in a Health Savings Account to pay for routine expenses.

In Dec after I arrive I will be getting my girlfriend signed up for phil health.

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes, phil health costs are low. But I haven't seen much discussion on availability and quality of service.

For me, having had 2 major health issues in 2010, quality of care is important to me and I am willing to pay more, if I can afford it, to get that quality care.

Fortunately I can maintain good health coverage with my employer as a retiree which I can use anywhere in the world. Just have to pay up front and get reimbursed for expenses outside of USA. I am going with the lower cost plan with higher deductibles but using tax free money in a Health Savings Account to pay for routine expenses.

In Dec after I arrive I will be getting my girlfriend signed up for phil health.

I"m a little busy right now to look it up but there have been stories where you won't be able to leave the hospital until after the bill is paid. I was told that PhilHealth will get you out of the hospital and you can arrange the remainder of payment once you are out. Also, look at it this way - this will cover any deductible for your main insurance a lot cheaper than paying it yourself!

Edited by I am bob
spelling
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
there have been stories where you won't be able to leave the hospital until after the bill is paid.
Yes, I have heard those stories and I believe them to be true in some cases. But in most cases where foreigners are involved they will allow some kind of arrangement like leave your passport until pay day and then come back to pay. Still not a situation I want to be in.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
there have been stories where you won't be able to leave the hospital until after the bill is paid.
Yes, I have heard those stories and I believe them to be true in some cases. But in most cases where foreigners are involved they will allow some kind of arrangement like leave your passport until pay day and then come back to pay. Still not a situation I want to be in.

I'm sure if you search throughout the forum you will come across the law which states a hospital can not hold you no matter what. I know its posted but are busy just now to search.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
the law which states a hospital can not hold you no matter what.

I am sure you will find the law only relates to basic service such as staying in the public ward. Once you get a private room the law not cover you, but I am no lawyer so everyone needs to do their own research.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Here is some interesting info I found on being detained for not paying your hospital bill ....... copied from a blog which I found on Google so can't put the address here .....

There is a law preventing it, ............... http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2007/ra_9439_2007.html

Note that this law was controversial when it was passed. Many private facilities were facing very real payment problems, to the point of almost shutting down.

You should note, however, that it only applies to patients who are not staying in a private room, and you should also note that the penaties do not kick in until the person has been detained for a month. If you are a foreigner, note that for major debts, like hospital or hotel, the creditor can request that the BI place a departure hold on your passport… There is a reason that a hospital will scan your passport if you are admitted as a foreigner.

Typically, what a hospital will do, since they do not benefit by continuing keeping you there with no money, is secure a promissory note after hitting up every possible income source you may have, including relatives. On my dealings with hospitals here, they typically will not treat you in the first place without a substantial deposit, payment in full, or insurance paperwork.

In all cases, with my direct experiences, they all required at least 50% up front.

Virtually every major hospital in the country has DSWD personnel onsite in order to help families pay the bills, acting as ombudsmen. When our nephew was deathly ill last year (I wrote about this on this site), the bill was nearly 3 million pesos. The doctors pretty much waived a substantial part of their fees and the DSWD helped the family come up with arrangements. Same thing happened this past summer when Becky’s aunt died leaving a bill of P500,000.

Yes, there are stories about detention, and it has happened here, but most physicians and hospitals do try to work something out.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

I am curious about getting Phil Health
for myself. I have a tourist visa. Is it possible to get Phil Health? In
the last 23 months of being here I have been to the hospitals on 2
occasions. Both times I paid over 10,000 pesos each. Both times the
costs included seeing a doctor and all the tests.

First
time was for a bactirial infection I got when I was swimming in a pool
at a resort in Davao. Got some water up my nose and was really sick for a
while with sinus, chest and stomach problems. Cost for all the tests
not including the medicine was over 10,000.

The
second time was here in Cebu. After snorkling in the waters off
Minglanilla I began to have severe pains in my jaw and chest.
I
went to Cebu Doctors Hospital South saw the only doctor available.
Luckily he was the Head of the Cardiac department at Cebu Doctors
Hospital there for only the day. I was given all the tests for possible
heart problems as well as lung ex rays and blood tests. Then given the
same prescription for the anti biotics for a bactirial infection as
before. Cost was again over 10,000 for just the tests and doctors visit.

I have gone swimming in other areas where I did not end up very sick however I don't go swimming very often now.

Any advice on getting Phil Health would be appriciated.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

From the PhilHealth web page FAQs found here:

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/individually_paying/faqs.html

5. Can a foreign national enroll as an Individually Paying Member?

YES, the Implementing Rules and Regulations of RA 7875, as amended by RA 9241, provides for the inclusion to the National Health Insurance Program the citizens of other countries residing and/or working in the Philippines. If the foreign national is employed, he/she shall be registered under the Employed Sector Program. Meanwhile, if he/she is self-employed or merely residing in the country, he/she may enroll as an Individually Paying Member. He/she only needs to accomplish and submit to any PhilHealth office, the PhilHealth Member Registration Form (PMRF) and a photocopy of his/her Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) issued by the Bureau of Immigration (BI) to prove his/her residency in the country.

For those who didn't notice - another reason for that ACR card...

:mocking:
  • Like 1