Phil-Health

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

(ACR) issued by the Bureau of Immigration (BI) to prove his/her residency in the country.

Timely you mention this Bob, only 2 weeks ago, I opened another bank account for my pension payment. you know, they would not accept my ACR as proof of address.

We talk about the left hand, not knowing what the Right hand is doing.

I sometimes wonder if (as I have heard on occasions) these ACR cards, are just a Government scam, if they are selectively accepted, as proof of address One has to wonder!!!

:tiphat:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I would recommend PhilHealth at a minimum. The hospital won't turn you away if you do not have sufficient cash or credit cards with you. The United States hospitals are also getting tough because so many don't pay.  My monthly premium with Kaiser Permanente is nearly $600. Yet when I see my doctor today for a regular visit, they will swipe my credit card for the additional $25 co-pay before I am called.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I would recommend PhilHealth at a minimum. The hospital won't turn you away if you do not have sufficient cash or credit cards with you.

Are you referring to a public or private hospital? There's a world of difference. All Philippine hospitals are required by law to treat you if your condition is "emergency or serious". That doesn't mean that they will, and it doesn't specify timeliness and quality of care, but there are serious potential legal consequences if they refuse treatment - if your condition warrants. But that's done in the ER, getting admitted to a private hospital is a different matter. I don't think that's going to happen without a cash deposit, Philhealth or not. In my case, they wouldn't admit me without a cash deposit even though I proved I had full private insurance (local, not foreign).  

• Like 1

retired
Posted
Posted

I would recommend PhilHealth at a minimum. The hospital won't turn you away if you do not have sufficient cash or credit cards with you.

Are you referring to a public or private hospital? There's a world of difference. All Philippine hospitals are required by law to treat you if your condition is "emergency or serious". That doesn't mean that they will, and it doesn't specify timeliness and quality of care, but there are serious potential legal consequences if they refuse treatment - if your condition warrants. But that's done in the ER, getting admitted to a private hospital is a different matter. I don't think that's going to happen without a cash deposit, Philhealth or not. In my case, they wouldn't admit me without a cash deposit even though I proved I had full private insurance (local, not foreign).  

Can not speak for Cebu or other locations but have never heard of anyone here in Cagayan de Oro , including expats  with  Philhealth coverage being refused entry into any hospital , private or otherwise . However , once Philhealth has paid what ever they will pay if you still have a large outstanding bill , then you might have a problem getting out . Fact is , most of the better hospitals here are private and many of the better doctors prefer working at them especially relating to surgical issues . But , as mentioned by Mike S. hospitals and doctors will try and work out things with you .

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Don't you just love the Philippines?

There are certain things that you are suppose to be able to do or be entitled to (according to the government) but you still can't always guaranty that it will happen that way!  

Still - I wish I was there full time rather than here waiting for my turn to escape!

:mocking:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

If my retirement plans include extended stays in the Philippines, I would get a PhilHealth card even if their medical benefits are inadequate. The purpose is to gain admittance to either a public or private hospital. Hopefully, the private hospital will accept my American Express Platinum Optima instead of a large cash deposit. It includes nearly unlimited credit for global emergency medical services. I hope never to use it because my problem would be paying back American Express.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Timely you mention this Bob, only 2 weeks ago, I opened another bank account for my pension payment. you know, they would not accept my ACR as proof of address.

what was the name of the bank? BDO?METRO? BPI?

sometimes as it was said the left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing,

with out insulting the persons mental function or lack of cranial material, Take along a copy of the BI rules

of what the ACR card is used for.

I would recommend PhilHealth at a minimum. The hospital won't turn you away if you do not have sufficient cash or credit cards with you

I would get a PhilHealth card even if their medical benefits are inadequate. The purpose is to gain admittance to either a public or private hospital.

Yes Yes JJreyes, thats what i have said many many times,

at least get the PHILHEALTH

if a person cant afford the 1800/2400 php a year then . they probably should have a cranial exam

It can(should) get your FOOT IN THE DOOR and not (again its the RP) be refused some sort of treatment

its been said many times in the FORUM that you/( the foreigner) can obtain PHILHEALTH

no one should have any excuse NOT to have it unless they have other insurance or can self-insure

even being self-insured , it can save you some $$

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/inpatient_care_benefits/index.html

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/individually_paying/condition.html

thanks I am Bob :-kiss:  your posts have provided much needed info

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Hopefully, the private hospital will accept my American Express Platinum Optima instead of a large cash deposit.  It includes nearly unlimited credit for global emergency medical services. 

The problem is a lot of places do not accept Amex in the Philippines, no matter how high the credit limit. It's much better then i was a few years ago but I wouldn't count on it. You should be ok with Mastercard/Visa. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The problem is a lot of places do not accept Amex in the Philippines, no matter how high the credit limit. It's much better then i was a few years ago but I wouldn't count on it. You should be ok with Mastercard/Visa.

I also have Mastercard/Visa because even in the United States, not everyone accepts American Express. Their merchant fee is much higher. My policy is to pay cash. The credit cards would be used to check-in at a hotel and then I pay in cash at the end. For other charges, they serve as a convenience card. This is one way to keep debt free.

Markham
Posted
Posted

But , as mentioned by Mike S. hospitals and doctors will try and work out things with you .

Two words: Thomas Hunt.
  • Like 2