9 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

My father used to say, dont do as I do, do as I sayΒ :rolleyes:

Your Father is a smart man. Hehehe. Β That’s my favorite saying. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
On 10/10/2018 at 7:31 PM, eloi said:

wow. that came out wrong. i meant to ask if his fisabiloty will run out or if there are conditions there. and yes there are. dont you generalize filipinas that were milking you americans. the 4 years weve been together , never have i asked for money or he has given me any. i have a nice stable job working at a bank. so no im not a dependa. i was just asking for stipulations of his disability income. not all americans are financially well off so dont think that all filipinas are just using you as atms.

if its any worth, i was the one helping him through some sticky situations in the past. so thank you very much for judging.

Β 

Eloi may never read this but I'm going to write it. On this site over the time I've followed it, we have had some curly questions asked, sometimes we try to read more into them than meets the eye, then there are other times when I suppose we are just rude to the posters question. I know some of us have had bad experiences with Filipinos using us as ATM's, but a lot of us have had partners in our own country that have done worse to us than a Filipino could. We all know their use of different phases are sometimes not exactly right but before answering, try and decipher out of the post what they want answered or at least write for a bit more clarity.Β 

Off the soap box.Β :2245_safe:

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
Ninpo2dan
Posted
Posted

Regarding the Voc Rehab question, I might be able to provide some information. Up front, I want to make it clear that I don't work for the VA so my information may be inaccurate. But I am current enrolled in the VA Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation program, and have been for almost 5 years now, so I do have personal experience.

It's important to note that the entire purpose of the Voc Rehab program is to educate/train the veteran in a career path that will allow them to find employment. This option is made available to veterans that currently lack sufficient education or job skills to gain "meaningful" employment, which basically means a job that is better aligned to the veteran's age, previous experience/skills, and necessary income to maintain a comfortable, fair lifestyle. Myself, for example, served as Infantry and Field Artillery, which aren't really applicable to the civilian sector. I was having trouble finding work that wasn't flipping burgers or pumping gas, so they accepted me into the program in order to earn a degree (Business Management) that would apply to a decent job.

If a veteran is rated for total disability, they will not be accepted into the program because they are deemed unable to work. If the veteran already has a degree or sufficient job skills/experience to find work in their area, they will likely be denied. The entire purpose of the program is to get you working, where without the program you are unable to find such work.

The Voc Rehab program can be used towards a technical skill, such as a certificate in welding, or it can be used towards a college degree. Which ever course you want to take, you must research a lot of info and submit that research to the VA in order to be approved. They are going to look at factors such as: Is that job in demand in your area? Are you unable to find work without the training? Will completing the training be a near-guaranteed chance of obtaining "immediate" employment?

Β 

My concern is that there are probably no open jobs in the Philippines for a foreigner, unless he's interested in working for some large corporation in a high-end field, and that is unlikely without years of experience in addition to any college requirements. The question is: Are there in-demand jobs available right now in the Philippines that would accept an expat with a fresh certificate/degree and no experience? From what I've being told and from what I can gather on various forums, there simply aren't many (if any) jobs like that for expats.

He might be able to convince the VA to enroll him in a Voc Rehab program in the states, which he can then use the certificate/degree in the Philippines, as long as the VA is never aware of his plans to move. But then again, as mentioned before, I don't think there will be any available jobs for an expat, regardless of certificate/degree, without having sufficient experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

eloi
Posted
Posted

Ty very much kind sir for complete information. I will pass this messagr along. Ty so much

Β 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Kanoguy
Posted
Posted

The answer to your 2 questions depends upon the rating or percentage of disability that the VA has given your boyfriend.

If he is rated as 100 percent disabled AND Permanent and Total, then he can't work, but his pension will never be taken away.

If he is rated as under 100 percent then it's possible for him to work and yes there is a Vocational Rehabilitation office in the VA Manila. He can apply for services with them.

Anyone that is rated as anything less than Permanent and Total can be called in for a re-examination by the VA and it is possible for them to reduce the rating and pension if they think the person's disability has improved.

• Like 3