Flu Shots

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Flu season has just got started and I went to Walmart Pharmacy to get a shot. The cost is covered under Medicare so my co-pay was zero. I found out Walmart charges Medicare $69.78. Recommended by the pharmacist who administered the injection was to get a pneumonia shot. Again, my co-pay was zero. They bill Medicare $198.54 for the service.

In the Philippines, it is probably much less expensive. I believe the vaccines are free, supplied by the World Health Organization (WHO). What medical practitioners charge is a service fee. 

Recommend you get one. Last year, the stats were 81,000 died from the flu, mostly the elderly.  I believe that's USA statistics. I don't know the global number.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The flu season in the Philippines probably does not coincide with the US flu season, and will definitly be a different strain so your US shot will not be effective in the Philippines and vis a versa.

• Hmm thinking 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Its free to over 65s in the uk 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I confess I've never considered the flu strain being different in the Philippines (although possible that is less of a problem in Australia because the distance is less and we often get asian flu strains).

And if the flu vaccine is provided in the Philippines by the WHO is it even available to non residents, those on a tourist visa or even balikbayan privledge?

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

The flu season in the Philippines probably does not coincide with the US flu season, and will definitly be a different strain so your US shot will not be effective in the Philippines and vis a versa.

I never gave it another thought about different countries having different flu strains. I'm just going through all my vaccinations at the moment and I went to a PI doctor here in Australia, makes sense they know what diseases are relevant or not. The pneumonia shot is a must she told me and it is free for over 65 here in Oz so that is a must. I was also told some of the recommended vaccines aren't necessary because of my lifestyle. On the flipside, anyone coming over even for a holiday, see a practising PI practitioner before coming over, it is their country and they know what vaccines are relevant, could save you a bob or two, vaccines aren't cheap. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

confess I've never considered the flu strain being different in the Philippines (although possible that is less of a problem in Australia because the distance is less and we often get asian flu strains).

And if the flu vaccine is provided in the Philippines by the WHO is it even available to non residents, those on a tourist visa or even balikbayan privledge?

The flu vaccine is available to everyone, except you may have to pay more for the shot.  Every year, we get ours from Walmart pharmacy where it is convenient and efficient.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gary D said:

Seems odd because in the USA they always refer to it as "Asian Flu". :89:

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Just think about it, the flu season tends to occur at the onset of winter. The winter in the northern hemisphere is the summer in the southern hemisphere.