Air BnB Prices in Luzon - Why So Friggin High?!!

Gary D
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I see that in Subic and there are often crowded weekends.  Subic hotels are at around 60% average capacity and there are hundreds of new rooms being built.

And they'll keep adding more rooms and hotelsl until it collapses like a pack of cards.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Gary D said:

For a family an airbnb in manila can still work out a lot cheaper than multiple hotel rooms.

Yes, this is our issue and reason for using AirBnb.  There are not many hotels that will take our family of 5 in one room, even though our smallest is only 2.5 years.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Reboot said:

That said, I haven't relied upon it for a larger party as our original poster friend requires. Might be a different world then.

Yes, unfortunately, it seems that many AirBnB's are jumping on the "extra head" bandwagon.  They advertise that it is good for say, 10 heads and have beds for that, but the base price is only for the the first 4 heads, etc.

From a manager's perspective, I can understand and accept that costs go up when heads go up, to a certain small extent.  However, this is contrary to the AirBnB marketing "you get a whole house". 

Our recent expensive house was advertised as capable of 20 heads but only 4 are in the base price.  I had to pay p1250 for my 5th head.  If you went up to the max 20 heads, you would have to pay p1250 X 16 = p20,000 per night over the base price!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

If I owned the condo and someone was paying the price I would be happy. 

Of course you would!  But this is Philippines!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Of course you would!  But this is Philippines!

Yes but probably the resort caters for overseas tourist and more so at Christmas time. I would say at the moment the host has Smart pricing on. Airbnb system will look at if they are getting 4000 a night now then at Christmas with demand it's worth this much. The system when setting up allows for the host to set a min and max price. If the host set a very large one the system will work towards that at peak times.

It's only money and I'm sure you or I wont be booking there for Christmas so it's all good. If you think of it leading up to then check out the bookings and prices for the place and see how they went. :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

• 2 weeks later...
earthdome
Posted
Posted

Seems this is more about the price of beach resorts on Luzon rather than AirBnB.

Using AirBnB  got a 2BR condo in Manila for $40 USD per night and a 2BR floor in a house in Baguio for only $50 per night. The rooms in the house in Baguio are actually rather large compared to normal filipino standards. These were for 4 adults and a baby.

Our nice 2BR condo in HK cost around $140 USD per night for 4 adults and one baby.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, earthdome said:

Seems this is more about the price of beach resorts on Luzon rather than AirBnB.

The AirBnbs in our neighborhood, whole house, can be really high too.  Some are quite nice, other not really worth it.  Usually a weekend price per night will be 7-15 k.

There is one near my house that I get a chuckle out of.  The pictures look really nice to a customer;  super modern and new, and I'm sure they are accurate.  However, they only give one view outside, of the front door area.

It is in the parking lot of our only local convenience store.  It is an old U.S. Navy storage building; a simple concrete rectangle with flat roof.  Next to it is an old storage lot with junk in it.  On the other side is a dirt maintenance road leading into the jungle.  They renovated it a year or so ago and I thought a local real estate agent (probably the lease owner) was using it as an office but I guess it has been AirBnB all along.  Until now.  I don't see it listed so maybe it is gone.

If anyone is ever interested in an Air BnB in the freeport, shoot me a message before you book and I can probably tell you if the area is nice or if there are any downsides.  There are some that are very nice.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

We just found an AirBnB down in LaUnion on Poro Point. Condo on the beach, new and nice. $37 per night plus fee's for M-F.