Electric Fan Rant

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

10 to 12 years ago, a decent fan (floor stand or wall mount) fan would cost 1,000 pesos while a 32-inch tv would cost 30,000 pesos.

Fast forward to today and the decent, wall mount, remote control fans are closing in on 3,000 pesos while a 32-inch tv has come down almost to 10,000 pesos.

Why would fans go up to triple the price while TVs came down to a third?  Strange if you ask me.

So the question is:  Where is the best deal on a decent, wall mount, remote control fan like the one in this Lazada link?  Why don't I buy that one?  I think they are asking quite a bit at 2500 pesos for a fan PLUS Lazada has started gouging me on delivery.  I used to get things delivered by Lazada for free or for one or two hundred pesos and I don't see that any more.  This fan would be 600 pesos to deliver to Dumaguete.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/asahi-wall-fan-with-remote-control-i231948344-s356225837.html?search=1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

10 to 12 years ago, a decent fan (floor stand or wall mount) fan would cost 1,000 pesos while a 32-inch tv would cost 30,000 pesos.

Fast forward to today and the decent, wall mount, remote control fans are closing in on 3,000 pesos while a 32-inch tv has come down almost to 10,000 pesos.

Why would fans go up to triple the price while TVs came down to a third?  Strange if you ask me.

So the question is:  Where is the best deal on a decent, wall mount, remote control fan like the one in this Lazada link?  Why don't I buy that one?  I think they are asking quite a bit at 2500 pesos for a fan PLUS Lazada has started gouging me on delivery.  I used to get things delivered by Lazada for free or for one or two hundred pesos and I don't see that any more.  This fan would be 600 pesos to deliver to Dumaguete.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/asahi-wall-fan-with-remote-control-i231948344-s356225837.html?search=1

Dave, have you tried City hardware or Robinson's builders? or du-eck-sam (spelling) There's other big stores that may have them, can't remember what its called.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Do you really need remote control for a stand fan?  A wall mount I can understand (it might be out of reach).

We bought 2 stand fans for 1500 pesos about 2 months ago in Robinson's (they had a promo where the 2nd one was discounted) because we're trying to reduce how much we use the AC units.  They didn't have remote controls but they're solid seeming units and they move a lot of air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Cheaper televisions are the result of technological improvement. Flat screens are easier and most cost efficient to manufacture. The GATT agreement permits their importation on a duty free basis. Shipping is also cheaper for flat screens compared to Cathode Ray. Probably double the quantity inside a shipping container. The results are lower prices.

• Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

...PLUS Lazada has started gouging me on delivery.  I used to get things delivered by Lazada for free or for one or two hundred pesos and I don't see that any more.  This fan would be 600 pesos to deliver to Dumaguete. 

I wrote to Lazada and got  a standard 'shipping fees are set by the vendor' but I have seen a HUGE increase in shipping too. I quit using them but have not found a good replacement.   That fan said p1,300 shipping to Iloilo?!?!

• Like 1

CoffeeRulzMe
Posted
Posted

I would love to find a fan with a VERY low speed setting. Stand type, table top, wall mount, whatever. Have not found one yet.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

That fan said p1,300 shipping to Iloilo?!

Yep.  Its crazy they will not let the customer pick the shipper.  Some smaller outfits in Manila will ship C.O.D. (for the shipping only) to Dumaguete and I have had 200 kg in 4 boxes shipped door to door for 1,3,50 pesos.  I was so happy I gave them a tip.  So a tiny box with a wall fan in it will not cost 600 pesos to ship.  It is gouging by the seller.  They have found a wait to get in a sneaky price increase and the word has spread so many are getting in on it.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, CoffeeRulzMe said:

I would love to find a fan with a VERY low speed setting.

Have you thought about ceiling fans I have some and they have very low speed settings. Actually they have 3

speed settings. get them with lights and kill 2 with one so to speak, handyman, City Hardware have good choices

ceiling fan.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have wondered the same thing about this trend. If you go into SM Store, the prices now for a good fan are crazy. Mine you in Cebu, you can still get some pretty good discounts for stuff like this at E-Mall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Medic Mike said:

Mine you in Cebu, you can still get some pretty good discounts for stuff like this at E-Mall.

Good point.   I will be in Cebu for a day at the end of the month.  If I stay sober I ma remember to check that out :hystery:

• Haha 1