Electric Fan Rant

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Have you thought about ceiling fans

Yes, I have.  Here is what my experience is from visiting friends who have ceiling or wall fans.

Often the temp at the ceiling is much hotter than at floor level and the ceiling fans circulate that hot air.  A wall fan can be placed lower on the wall so as not to disturb the hotter air above.  A floor stand fan is fine but it takes up floor space and is always in the way.  These are just my personal observations and everyone is different.  Your house may not have hot air at ceiling level.  In any case, I see how it would be fine for some people but not suitable for my purposes.  But thanks for the suggestion. :58:

• Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Good point.   I will be in Cebu for a day at the end of the month.  If I stay sober I ma remember to check that out :hystery:

I am not sure why everything there is so much cheaper, except I only see locals at that mall, I can't say I have ever seen an expat there. My GF was the one that turned me on to this mall.

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I don't know about prices but I will never buy anything other than Camel brand. To me, they are the strongest fans available.

We had an anemic Asahi wall mount out on the patio. Not a remote version but a pull chain version. I could not feel the breeze from it from four feet away. My wife took it to her store and we replaced it with a Camel stand fan. That one is almost too strong. 

I imagine they use more electricity for being strong air movers but I don't mind. It's less than what the AC costs.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

A wall fan can be placed lower on the wall so as not to disturb the hotter air above.  A floor stand fan is fine but it takes up floor space and is always in the way. 

Can I throw in a bit of warm air :smile: What about a misting fan for something different? 

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

What about a misting fan for something different? 

Those do work pretty well but I thought they were only for outdoor use?

Using one inside might promote mold maybe?  And that's already a problem in the tropics.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Often the temp at the ceiling is much hotter than at floor level and the ceiling fans circulate that hot air.  A wall fan can be placed lower on the wall so as not to disturb the hotter air above.  A floor stand fan is fine but it takes up floor space and is always in the way.  

We've got ceiling fans on the bottom floor only (which is kitchen, sala, media room and CR) and the hot air tends to flow up to the 2nd floor (bedrooms and CR) and then onward to the 3rd floor (visitors bedroom and storage) and you can often feel a hot breeze exiting the ornamental window vents.  The 3rd floor does get pretty hot for the reasons you mention.

No solution will be right for every type of dwelling.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Good point.   I will be in Cebu for a day at the end of the month.  If I stay sober I ma remember to check that out :hystery:

E Mall is good, especially for Kano sized clothes and shoes, but I’m not sure about appliances - to be honest, never really look looked. You might want to check out a store called Unitop Department Store. On Osmena Blvd, just around the corner from E Mall. They have very good prices and a large selection of various household/hardware items. Most are cheap Chinese imports and knockoffs, but they also carry some name brand items. 

UNITOP
184 Osmeña Blvd, Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines
+63 32 255 1489
https://goo.gl/maps/vCuA97TJGVN2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JDDavao said:

We had an anemic Asahi wall mount out on the patio. Not a remote version but a pull chain version. I could not feel the breeze from it from four feet away. My wife took it to her store and we replaced it with a Camel stand fan. That one is almost too strong.

Which model do you have?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I doubt it :7500:

• Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

I bought us a new refrigerator a couple of months ago, at our local home appliances store.  The price was very competitive .

Then I found out they'd also given us a free-standing fan, which was included in the deal with that particular fridge.  :biggrin:

• Like 2