Free to air TV

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Might be a silly question but can free to watch channels be used here without like Sky TV ETC. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The answer used to be yes, but I vaguely remember that was discontinued a while back.

If you are techie minded you can read about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television_in_the_Philippines

But I think it means you cannot use the old-fashioned TV antenna to get TV.  You may be able to use the UHF antenna if they are broadcasting in UHF.

IF (and that's a big if) I am right then the antenna you are looking for looks something like this

uhf.jpg

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

You mean OTA, Over The Air?  Sure, why not.  You need an old style indoor or outdoor antenna.  Not much for a foreigner to watch though.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I've got one of the all singing and dancing antennas for over the air TV. Unfortunately you only get an odd shopping channel. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Thanks

Just that a condo I am managing has a nice big TV and no cable. I tried to get the cheapskate owner who is a friend to connect cable for about an extra 400 peso a month on top of internet but no and now he has gone for 6 months. Just thought if I could get something other than the DVD player he has connected would be better than nothing. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Thanks

Just that a condo I am managing has a nice big TV and no cable. I tried to get the cheapskate owner who is a friend to connect cable for about an extra 400 peso a month on top of internet but no and now he has gone for 6 months. Just thought if I could get something other than the DVD player he has connected would be better than nothing. 

The "high end" condo we just stayed in did not have TV channels or cable channels.  Only Netflix.

BKB
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Thanks

If you have access to a 5. mbps+ internet connection, try installing Kodi on your phone or computer. If that phone/computer has a hdmi output, even better. Bit of a learning curve but everything you need to know can be found on the net...

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BKB said:

If you have access to a 5. mbps+ internet connection, try installing Kodi on your phone or computer. If that phone/computer has a hdmi output, even better. Bit of a learning curve but everything you need to know can be found on the net...

Thanks but this condo is rented out short term through airbnb so I wont be there. 

RBM
Posted
Posted

I stay often in AirBnb condos here, it's not often one has full cable TV.

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted (edited)

I use an IPTV system, it has 25K chanels, called xxxx. Channels include all the BT / Sky sports, discovery, movies etc, costs P5K per year.

PM and I can give you the guys details, many of us use the system and works really well. 

Edited by LUFCinMakati