Hospital coming to Moalboal?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Just saw this article.  Mixed feelings as Moalboal is still more provincial, but having a real hospital would certainly be a blessing.

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1769479

A COMMERCIAL development will soon rise in the south of Cebu.

Alavan Epic City will be situated in Barangay Balabagon, Moalboal, will feature a hotel, hospital, condominium and government offices on a 3,000-hectare property.

Alavan Epic City Development Corp. is setting aside P500 million for the project.

The development was conceptualized and owned by Alan Duarte and Vanessa Cabaron, who used to be classmates during their elementary days.

Cabaron, who is a doctor, always dreamed of building her own hospital, while Duarte, who is a manager, and has been in the hotel industry, wanted to incorporate a business side of their concept, which made them coin the word “hospicondotelity.”

Cabaron explained that Alavan will house government service offices, as well as a travel and tours office, a hospital with over a hundred beds, and a 19-storey condominium.

“The right wing is for the commercial spaces and the government offices that will be staying there. In the middle is the condotel,” explained Cabaron.

Cabaron said that they will begin building the hospital since they see it as the most essential.

The eight-storey Gonzalo S. Cabaron Memorial Hospital, which is named after her father, will start as an infirmary. They are planning to make it into a secondary-level hospital immediately, said Cabaron.

At the top of the hospital will be a dormitory-type hotel where family of the patients can stay.

Cabaron also said that once the hospital becomes fully operational, she will introduce tele-medicine, which is the delivery of health care virtually.

“It is not necessary that the doctor or the surgeon is right in front of the patient. It can be done through the computer,” explained Cabaron.

At the center of the development is the 19-storey condominium where clients can enjoy the sea and the mountain view, said Duarte.

Duarte shared that their main market are those long-staying foreign medical tourists who want to take a break from the city and their work.

“I also wanted to have a cultural value (from different countries) and put it one spot,” Duarte said.

Cabaron said they chose Moalboal because of strong family ties--her parents were born there. They have also noticed that people from the south still have to travel to the city to get hospital and government services.

“(Once this will be operational) people from the south do not need to travel to the city to go to the SSS, or any government agency,” said Cabaron.

The Alavan Epic City, according to Duarte, will provide its future clients the experience of rural area living with the lifestyle of a city.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

More hospitals the better :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Hospicondelity? 🙄

Tele-medicine virtual care. ☠️

This is a joke, right?

• Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

The more hospitals the better yes, but how much hospital can you build for 500 million pesos?  I suspect it would be restricted in th type of services it could offer.  

But yes, more health care in under serviced areas is a good thing. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The more hospitals the better yes, but how much hospital can you build for 500 million pesos?  I suspect it would be restricted in th type of services it could offer.  

But yes, more health care in under serviced areas is a good thing. 

Yes but as far as I know if you needed help you have a long drive to Cebu city so it might help someone. 

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes but as far as I know if you needed help you have a long drive to Cebu city so it might help someone. 

2 Hospitals in dalaguete but their services are limited.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Mike,

There is a similar private owned hospital in Consolacion, Cebu.The style that they manage though, is to have a nursing staff available all the time, but all doctors, including in the emergency room ones (except maybe one) are on call and under contract. They appear at odd times and are often not available because they have their own office and contracts in other hospitals in Cebu City.  They probably started out with similar hopes as this one, but this one is actually more expensive and serves less.  My husband stayed there during his past motorcycle accident, and we would not use them again. Maybe this one will be different, but budgets for running a small private hospital must be high.

When the new director of Cebu Doctors' Hospital in Cebu City spoke to the public this year, he pledged a new branch of Cebu Doctors' Hospital in Bogo City here in the north within the next five years. High hopes maybe, but we'd welcome it if it pans out for people like us in this area.

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

When the new director of Cebu Doctors' Hospital in Cebu City spoke to the public this year, he pledged a new branch of Cebu Doctors' Hospital in Bogo City here in the north by 2015.

Queenie is this an  Oooops.jpg ? :unsure:

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Queenie is this an  Oooops.jpg ? :unsure:

My bad Jack--just corrected that.:smile:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 10/18/2018 at 7:13 AM, Mike J said:

Alavan Epic City will be situated in Barangay Balabagon, Moalboal, will feature a hotel, hospital, condominium and government offices on a 3,000-hectare property.

The next question I need answered is:  Are they asking for investors and if so are they registered with the SEC?

Disclaimer:  I do not know if this is a scam but read on to see the red flags.

I know quite a few foreigners who have been scammed out of their money by "overly ambitious" scammers who will plan a dream like the one in the quote, sell it to rich people, buy or lease some land and lay out the bare foundation to make it look like they are doing something, then run off with the money.

The worst thing is they are such good salesmen that foreigners and their money are easily parted.  When I was invited to a meeting of foreigners some years back about a similar hospital venture in Biliran, I stood on a soapbox and screamed SCAM but not a soul listened and they all lost their money.  People only learn by their own mistakes and the scam still goes on.  For example:

SEC issues warning on ‘hospital pre-selling’ scam

Cebu City – The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) urged the public to exercise caution in buying shares of stocks in hospitals which are currently under construction.

This, after SEC Cebu officials found that several individuals and groups have been offering or pre-selling securities to the public in the form of shares of stocks in hospitals currently under construction.

While they received reports that the “hospital pre-selling scam” has reportedly occurred in Cebu, Bohol, Dumaguete and Tacloban, they have yet to receive a formal complaint from those duped by it, said lawyer Alma Marie Estrada-Dalena, SEC Cebu extension office securities counsel.

Dalena said the scam involved attracting investors with certain hospital benefits, such as discounted fees for the use of private rooms or operating rooms, wards and accommodation in the intensive care unit (ICU), and hospital equipment.

• Like 2