Foster's Strong Beer

Recommended Posts

Posted

Pure Gold Duty Free here in Subic Freeport (also Clark) is having one of the semi-annual big sales.  We usually stock up on laundry soap, shampoo, etc.  Today was the second day and the lines were not too bad.

Noticed Foster's Strong beer for 36 pesos, buy 1 take one, so only 18 pesos each for the 330 ml can.  Not the big "oil cans" as we used to call the big lager cans.

I never have had "strong" before so when I got home I looked it up.  Seems to only be brewed under license outside of AU, and mine was brewed in Vietnam.  The old brew did not have good reviews but apparently they changed the recipe and it has better reviews now.

I'm trying it now and I like it.  6.9% alchohol.  I used to love an "oil can" of the lager after work.  It was just right for an after work at home beer.  This is much different but I still like it, especially for 18 pesos!

They also had a sixpack of Heineken bottles for p245, so I got one of those too.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted

I might be wrong but I dont think they brew any Fosters in Australia these day. I doubt if anyone drinks it as it's a thing of the past in Australia. I know that I never seen it in liquor stores except of some promo on a rare occasion.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
23 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I might be wrong but I dont think they brew any Fosters in Australia these day. I doubt if anyone drinks it as it's a thing of the past in Australia. I know that I never seen it in liquor stores except of some promo on a rare occasion.  

What are the best sellers in AU these days?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

What are the best sellers in AU these days?

I really dont know and it depend as to where you come from which seems to be the thing with liking a certain beer. My beer for years was Carlton cold but they changed it to a lower alcohol beer so l changed to Carlton Dry. Back in my younger days living in Victoria it was Melbourne bitter then Victorian bitter. I think Melbourne disappeared years ago to but Vic bitter is still about. 

I recall back at a work Christmas party once many years ago there was a beer strike on so all you could get was stuff from Western Aus, worst beer ever but I bet if you lived in that area and drank it for years they would say the same about other beers.

I moved to Queensland maybe 17 or more years ago when 4x was the locally brewed beer. Horrible stuff but the Queensland's had a taste for it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

They also had a sixpack of Heineken bottles for p245, so I got one of those too.

 

That's a darn good price! I've gotten tired of SanMig again and bought a few of those Heineken 6-packs at SM here for P275. S&R had them for P269 which is the lowest I've noticed for the couple of weeks I've been drinking them.

But then, S&R had a fresh supply of Murphy's Stout and when I saw that, all thoughts of economy left my brain.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
35 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

bought a few of those Heineken 6-packs at SM here for P275. S&R had them for P269 which is the lowest I've noticed for the couple of weeks I've been drinking them.

Actually those are nice prices too.  Although I have not shopped for Heineken, I thought it would normally be higher than that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:02 PM, OnMyWay said:

Pure Gold Duty Free here in Subic Freeport (also Clark) is having one of the semi-annual big sales.  We usually stock up on laundry soap, shampoo, etc.  Today was the second day and the lines were not too bad.

Noticed Foster's Strong beer for 36 pesos, buy 1 take one, so only 18 pesos each for the 330 ml can.  Not the big "oil cans" as we used to call the big lager cans.

I never have had "strong" before so when I got home I looked it up.  Seems to only be brewed under license outside of AU, and mine was brewed in Vietnam.  The old brew did not have good reviews but apparently they changed the recipe and it has better reviews now.

I'm trying it now and I like it.  6.9% alchohol.  I used to love an "oil can" of the lager after work.  It was just right for an after work at home beer.  This is much different but I still like it, especially for 18 pesos!

They also had a sixpack of Heineken bottles for p245, so I got one of those too.

I just returned home from a Angeles City Bar Run/S&R shopping spree. S&R Dau had buy 1 take 1 Fosters as well, 888P

I bought a couple cases, drinking one now. The side of the can reads 6.9% as well, Brewed in Vietnam under the supervision of those in Australia. 

fs.JPG.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
10 minutes ago, Rooster said:

Brewed in Vietnam under the supervision of those in Australia. 

What's it taste like? good, bad or just OK?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

What's it taste like? good, bad or just OK?

I think the 6.9% Alcohol content is probably correct based on comparing it to three  5%  San Miguel Lights. 

I just arrived home, they are not cold so I had to add ice in a glass and drink it that way. The taste is ok, each one tastes better. A trick I learned from some old timers in the states is put some black pepper in the glass before you pour it and it causes bubbling, (aeration) makes it taste better.  

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
1 hour ago, Rooster said:

I just returned home from a Angeles City Bar Run/S&R shopping spree. S&R Dau had buy 1 take 1 Fosters as well, 888P

I bought a couple cases, drinking one now. The side of the can reads 6.9% as well, Brewed in Vietnam under the supervision of those in Australia. 

fs.JPG.

 

That's about the same as I paid, but Puregold had it on a per can basis.

I like it.  Like most beer, ice cold is the best!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...