'No parking, no car' may soon become a reality

Rooster
Posted
Posted

Senate bill wants a notarized proof of parking before buying a car

October 15, 2018 16:21

'No parking, no car' may soon become a reality

Buying a car soon? You might have to present proof you have somewhere to park it in the future. The Senate has begun pushing the motion for Proof-of-Parking Space Act, which Senator Win Gatchalian believes will help curb congestion in the country.

Filed under Senate Bill No. 201 (SBN 201), the Proof-of-Parking Act was filed by Senator Gatchalian back in 2016. The bill has been described as, 'An Act regulating the sale of motor vehicles in Metro Manila by requiring a proof-of-parking space or facility from motor vehicle buyers as a prerequisite for the purchase of a motor vehicle and registration with the Land Transportation Office'.

SBN 201 has been pending in the Committee since August 2, 2016. Now, it has gained momentum after it received full support from different civil society and government representatives during the Committee's recent public hearing.

"I think this is quite relevant at this time because, if you try to pass the side streets to avoid traffic in major thoroughfares, there is a greater chance that you'll get stuck in traffic due to the cars parked along the narrow streets," said Gatchalian.

In Section 3 of SBN 201, any person who wants to purchase a vehicle, with a residence or a business in Metro Manila, must present a notarized document to the LTO to be able to register the vehicle. Each vehicle in the household or business must have proof-of-parking.

Moving to Section 7 of the Bill, anyone making false claims that they do have parking provided for their vehicles are faced with a hefty penalty. The owner shall be barred from registering the vehicle under his name for the next three years, along with a Php 50,000 fine for every violation of SBN 201.

The full document can be viewed here.

https://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-industry-news/senate-bill-wants-a-notarized-proof-of-parking-before-buying-a-car.html

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Whats happens if you move? And what about those who rent and move every now and then? Sounds like a pain in the butt to me.

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Rooster said:

in Metro Manila

it is really needed here in the metro, where the bill is limited to I believe

47 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

those who rent

around here folks are already talking about using their relatives addresses and folks with vacant lots are converting them into parking areas. Plus with the way LTO enforces things do you really think that once a car in purchased anyone will follow up?

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, scott h said:

Plus with the way LTO enforces things do you really think that once a car in purchased anyone will follow up?

Well the Manila clearing team are out every day removing cars and business from the streets so perhaps they will take on the role of the parking police. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Manila clearing team

very true, at least in Quezon city in other areas not so much.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Seems to me that it would be foolish to buy a car without a plan to park it, but then I forget where we are :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

When I bought a residence in my subdivision I mentioned to the saleslady that I would have to sell my pickup truck to buy in here as the parking spaces are for small cars only.  She said not to worry about it as people will just park anywhere and most people who buy here are not expected to have a car (motorcycle only) so there will be lots of places to park.

I sold the truck anyway.  Good thing as they underestimated everything when they planned this subdivision.  They did not count on people having cars and many households have 2 cars and a couple of motorcycles.  They thought most people would have no aircon or maybe a small one but many now have 2 or 3 mid size air cons.  They thought they had an adequate water supply but they ended up having to cut the pressure down to a trickle to keep up with the demand.  So much so that my water heater does not get enough pressure to turn on.

I could go on, but this topic is about parking in Manila and if its worse than Dumaguete and area then YES people should have to prove that they have purchased or rented a privately owned parking spot and they do not plan to park on the public street all day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

people who buy here are not expected to have a car (motorcycle only)

Yet! to have a Motorcycle licence you now have to prove you have a Motorcycle Scratching Head.jpg Astounding What :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I recall a study done about Metro Manila's traffic.  The study pointed to the lack of parking as one of the causes.  Wealthy families had a driver who would go around the block or move whenever the policeman blows his whistle when the car was illegally park.  If free or reasonably priced parking was available, It would reduce street congestion.  Instead, developers continue to construct buildings whose parking spaces are insufficient for their tenants.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Instead, developers continue to construct buildings whose parking spaces are insufficient for their tenants.

Then those who give the go ahead should be the ones held accountable. 

• Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Personally I think someone with money and contacts should start a parking business. I got a spare 10 peso so if we can get several shareholders we could be up and running in no time. :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1