A new project

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We are at the very early stages of building a large garage with appartment above and have started to get a handle on costs. Labour is currently looking like about 1,600,000. I'll bet that will be a movable feast. Anyway one item that is puzzling me is the 80 gallons of putty, obviously it's not the putty I'm accustomed to so what is it used for.

• Hmm thinking 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Good luck with your project I am scratching my head over the putty also.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Sounds like masonry putty.  A very fine mixture of cement and some other ingredients.  This is used as the final coat for hollow block construction.  It gives a very fine smooth surface and also fills any hairline cracks.  When completed by a good mason the final result will look just like a plastered wall.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Forgot to mention - the labor sounds very high.  How large is this structure?

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

Forgot to mention - the labor sounds very high.  How large is this structure?

Yes that was my first reaction. I'm sure I could cut it back using the local jobber builders. As ther is about 1000 sq ft of concrete second floor I'm not sure I want to take the risk. Total floor area is about 2000 sq ft. It isa doulbe width garage with rented two bed appartment beside. Above is a two bed appartment and patio area that we will use whilst we renovate our existing house then use as guest quarters.

received_1749343985192155.jpeg

Edited by Gary D

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Gary D said:

We are at the very early stages of building a large garage with appartment above and have started to get a handle on costs. Labour is currently looking like about 1,600,000. I'll bet that will be a movable feast. Anyway one item that is puzzling me is the 80 gallons of putty, obviously it's not the putty I'm accustomed to so what is it used for.

Is this near the house in Hermosa?  Will the garage have a garage door?  I'm thinking about building a big fully enclosed garage.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Is this near the house in Hermosa?  Will the garage have a garage door?  I'm thinking about building a big fully enclosed garage.

Yes we own the lot across the road from the house. I'm hoping to have a roller door on the garsge.

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:34 AM, Gary D said:

1.6 Million for labor ? You must be using an Architect, a very greedy Architect. Ask for a labor cost spreadsheet with details.  

80 Gallons of putty sounds "extremely" excessive? That's 16, five gallon drums. Interior/Exterior Walls are done using fine sand & concrete, not putty. Putty is used for ceiling & wall panel "joints".     

If they are using it for Ceiling Joints only, it could be they need 8 gallons not 80 based on your 2 story picture. 

The only other thing 80 gallons could be used for is if they are using it for the cracks that appear after the concrete walls cure prior to painting. Perhaps you can tell them you only approve 40 Gallons for now and see if they need more later (if they are using it for concrete wall cracks).

Hopefully they are using concrete neutralizer and a sealer before paint otherwise paint will peel.

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

As others have said that's way too much for labor, closer to US rates than Philippines rates. It's nearly 9k pesos per square meter just for labor, I'd be wanting the whole thing including materials done for around 15k per square meter seeing as it's just a garage with I assume a fairly low quality apartment seeing as you're just renting it out.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

As others have said that's way too much for labor, closer to US rates than Philippines rates. It's nearly 9k pesos per square meter just for labor, I'd be wanting the whole thing including materials done for around 15k per square meter seeing as it's just a garage with I assume a fairly low quality apartment seeing as you're just renting it out.

This was just the first stab at it. The guy is not an architect but has done some good work locally. We won't be starting for 6-8 months and just trying to get a handle on the likely costs. He supplied a list of main materials which we are also canvasing for prices.

building materials.png

• Like 2