Charging for electricity

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JDDavao said:

I shall be filing for a refund for all of that unused electricity between there and our 2nd-floor unit!

Damn - even worse when it has to travel "uphill".  :hystery:

• Haha 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont think it would make much difference if the meter is a bit further away as if everything is turned off then the meter is not ticking over. It's only when its getting used that the meter is registering.

My opinion is that whatever it takes to so say fill the line from the meter to the house would be so minuscule that it would not be easily measured.

• Like 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Much better to have the meter inside your house, removes the opportunity for somebody to tap into your line which will be at your expense.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Eddie1 said:

Much better to have the meter inside your house,

If Only, BUT we know where we are :wink:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

My opinion is that whatever it takes to so say fill the line from the meter to the house would be so minuscule that it would not be easily measured.

My opinion is it depends on the "line loss" and "voltage drop" which varies depending on the size of wire and the length of wire and the voltage going through it.

Obviously, if your meter is close to your house then the power company pays for the line loss, but the voltage drop will be the same UNLESS they use a heavier gauge wire going up to the meter than you use from the meter to the house.  IF by accident the wire from the meter to your house is a heavier gauge than the electric company uses then you may want to keep the meter up closer to their pole for less voltage drop. (You will still end up with line loss but probably a negligible amount).

https://www.mikeholt.com/technnical-voltage-drop-calculations-part-one.php

Its too technical for me but it is a real thing so it will cost you more in electricity and give lower voltage if you run a 200-meter cable from the meter to your house.  How much?  Let us know when you check the voltage and get the bill :58:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The loss will be any heating of the cable. The longer the cable the higher the resistance and the greater the loss. Unless you are using telephone wire to feed your house you really are not going to notice. Also the cable doesn't fill when the power comes on, it's there all of the time just stationary. When you draw current the electrons in the cable just shuffle along, the higher the voltage and the faster they shuffle. on average an electron in a powered cable moves along the cable at about walking pace.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mike J said:

Damn - even worse when it has to travel "uphill".  :hystery:

Duh it gets pumped up the hill.

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm bemused by this thread.  Maybe I should be amused and it's a big wind up!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I'm bemused by this thread.  Maybe I should be amused and it's a big wind up!

:hystery:  Forum and sarcasm warning.jpg  :thumbsup::wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1