Charging for electricity

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm bemused by this thread.  Maybe I should be amused and it's a big wind up!

It`s not wind up it`s mains.It did start off serious but as I have my answer if people wants to have some fun then I am all for it.If it makes somebody smile then it is worth it.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm bemused by this thread.

I was kind of "shocked" myself. :mocking:

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Mike J said:

I was kind of "shocked" myself. :mocking:

Groan.........:shades:

• Like 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

At home is sometimes gets so cold that the electricity freezes. We have to build a fire under the meter to get it flowing again. Fortunately it never gets that cold here but there is always that possibility. 

• Haha 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
On 10/23/2018 at 8:18 AM, sonjack2847 said:

Do you have to pay again to charge those lines to your house or does it remain there.

You would if you have a leaky water line and the water is turned off, then turned on water would fill the empty hose. That is not how electricity works though. Instead of filling up like a water or gas hose, think of electrical cable as filled with marbles. When the power is turned on and a new marble enters the line, an existing marble is nearly instantly forced out the other side. Now replace the marbles with electrons, copper wire has more electrons than aluminium wire, therefore copper has less resistance to accepting electrons on one side and releasing one on the other, more efficient and less heat. You don't 'fill up' an electrical line, when the power is off the copper doesn't go anywhere, it is stable and keeps its electrons until another is forced in on one side pushing another out the other end. Unless they used an undersized wire 200m is not long enough to see a difference in your bill.

The thing I would worry about is 200m is long enough for someone to try and tap into your power. That would increase your bill.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Robi
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I have also heard that if you lay a brick on the meter, your bill will be much lower.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, 526 said:

Yeah, I have also heard that if you lay a brick on the meter, your bill will be much lower.

I tried that - the bill didn't drop but the meter did as the rusty nail holding it to the post just wasn't up to the job!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, 526 said:

I have also heard that if you lay a brick on the meter, your bill will be much lower.

Interesting.  It gives me an idea.  I shall ask the meter reader to slide the bill UNDER the gate.  It will be much lower that way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

It used to be quite easy to "fix" your electricity meter , a simple sewing needle was all that was required , or there was a way to use a battery charger to make the wheel go backwards

If you are concerned about neighbours nicking your power , then get a clamp meter , they are quite cheap , measure the current as it leaves the meter and then again as it enters your fuse board , if there's a difference ,switch your fuse board main switch off and check again at the meter , if current is being drawn , then Pablo down the purok is running his aircon off your bill 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, bastonjock said:

It used to be quite easy to "fix" your electricity meter , a simple sewing needle was all that was required , or there was a way to use a battery charger to make the wheel go backwards

If you are concerned about neighbours nicking your power , then get a clamp meter , they are quite cheap , measure the current as it leaves the meter and then again as it enters your fuse board , if there's a difference ,switch your fuse board main switch off and check again at the meter , if current is being drawn , then Pablo down the purok is running his aircon off your bill 

Much easier just turn off your power and see how many neighbours lights go off.

• Haha 4