PH, US resolve trade issues, eye stronger economic ties

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, bows00 said:

Why wouldn't you expect to pay higher prices for US products there?

IMHO, a better question is why would I buy products from the US if they were a higher price than buying similar products imported from other countries?  My answer to my own question is I would not buy products from the US if they are higher prices.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

IMHO, a better question is why would I buy products from the US if they were a higher price than buying similar products imported from other countries?  My answer to my own question is I would not buy products from the US if they are higher prices.

That's interesting. I've had whole worlds of goods open up to me by buying products from other countries here. I just tasted my first spoonful of Tesco Malt Wheats with Golden Syrup the other week and now I have two more boxes in the cupboard.

German mustard. Spanish wine and brandy. Stollen with marzipan! Never had any of that, not even in Seattle. I'm probably blowing it on the cost of these but I'm aware that Americans like me are raised to think that the rest of the world is inferior and, to break that mentality, I try new things.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 10/24/2018 at 1:50 PM, Happyhorn52 said:

What about 465p for a 12 Pack of Coke?

I don't think many Filipinos drink canned Coke so the demand is low and cost is high.  I estimate there are about 4200 ml in a 12 pack so that would be about 11 centavos per ml.

By contrast, 1.5 litre bottle, 1500 ml, you can get for less than p60?  p60 would be 4 centavos per ml.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:43 PM, bows00 said:

Why wouldn't you expect to pay higher prices for US products there?

I agree with you, that sounds logical to me.

But what confuses me is that products sometimes can be bought cheaper in other countries, compared to what the price is in the country where they are produced!!

:89:

Viking
Posted
Posted
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:52 AM, JDDavao said:

I'm aware that Americans like me are raised to think that the rest of the world is inferior and, to break that mentality, I try new things.

I have noticed that many Americans think like that, but when it comes to food, I believe most nationals think that they have the best food.

Guess its about what you are being used to eat. We have several things here in Sweden that I am pretty sure I would not like to eat, if I were not used to it since I was young.

But like you say, it is good to try new things :thumbsup:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

But what confuses me is that products sometimes can be bought cheaper in other countries, compared to what the price is in the country where they are produced!!

Multi-national companies can adjust to local conditions in many cases.  Sometimes they have enough play in their pricing to enter a market at a competitive price, and can afford to lose or break even for quite a while.  Later they might lower their costs by opening local plants and using local cost labor.  

Gary D
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Viking said:

I agree with you, that sounds logical to me.

:89:

coke sold in the Philippines is produced in the Philippines not imported from the States, the syrup may be imported but even that is unlikely.

robert k
Posted
Posted
On 10/24/2018 at 7:00 AM, Lee1154 said:

Does this mean that I will not have to pay thrice as much for a can of tomatoes?  Currently the price of any canned goods is three times the price as in the USA.

How long ago we're you last in the US? I was slightly shocked at the price of Wolf brand Chili I saw in the local Metro store until I made a quick trip to the US and found that at Walmart in the US, the price was 2/3 the cost of that in the local Metro store. Considering shipping and tax, I see it as more reasonable.

robert k
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't think many Filipinos drink canned Coke so the demand is low and cost is high.  I estimate there are about 4200 ml in a 12 pack so that would be about 11 centavos per ml.

By contrast, 1.5 litre bottle, 1500 ml, you can get for less than p60?  p60 would be 4 centavos per ml.

If buying coke, the smart buy is 1L glass bottle, where available.

• Like 1

Lee1154
Posted
Posted

Does this mean that I will not have to pay thrice as much for a can of tomatoes?  Currently the price of any canned goods is three times the price as in the USA.

How long ago we're you last in the US? I was slightly shocked at the price of Wolf brand Chili I saw in the local Metro store until I made a quick trip to the US and found that at Walmart in the US, the price was 2/3 the cost of that in the local Metro store. Considering shipping and tax, I see it as more reasonable.

I checked some prices on line before making the comment.