Cebu info please!

CG1 Blue
Posted
Posted

Hi

I'm going to stay in Cebu for 5 days in November. I've spent a lot of time in Thailand and other south east Asian countries over the past 15 years, but I've never been to the Philippines. 

While in Cebu I have two aims: 1) to sample the exciting nightlife, and 2) to go see some wildlife and natural scenery

From looking at various websites I gather I will achieve the first goal by staying somewhere near Mango Square, which I'll do for the first 3 nights. Would that make sense? 

For the remaining 2 days I'd like to go somewhere to satisfy the nature geek in me. I like trekking through tropical forests spotting reptiles, insects, birds, flora etc. etc. I'm not so keen on organised tours where often I feel a lot of time is wasted on stuff that doesn't appeal to me. I'm also not so interested in diving, although I might consider snorkelling if I Cebu is not a place for tropical forest treks. 

Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

I'm also not so interested in diving, although I might consider snorkelling if I Cebu is not a place for tropical forest treks

You might find Moalboal to your liking for this part.  Easy to get there from Cebu City South Bus Terminal or by hired car (if you have a big budget).

• Like 1

CG1 Blue
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You might find Moalboal to your liking for this part.  Easy to get there from Cebu City South Bus Terminal or by hired car (if you have a big budget).

Ok, thanks. Marine life is less interesting for me, but I'll definitely bear Moalboal in mind as an alternative if I can't find the forests 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Majority of members are married and don't participate in Mango Square type of nightlife. This forum is G Rated so we don't get into those details anyway. There are several popular disco's and bars with live music suggest you YouTube to find a place that you could be interested in. I visited a sports bar called Howling Dogs with friends last year. There were two acoustic guitar players who played late 60's and 70's soft rock that was fantastic. Depends what you like.

I agree with Dave. Moalboal is great for scuba or snorkeling. Whale sharks is fun about three hours south of Cebu City. Go early if you want to view them. Any tropical jungle has been clear cut many years ago. Most wild life has been eaten. There are some lovely small affordable beach resorts found throughout Cebu and some very expensive ones too.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I gather I will achieve the first goal by staying somewhere near Mango Square,

Up to you but nothing much happens till after 10pm so even if you stayed somewhere else by then traffic is OK. As for exciting nightlife depends on what you want but there are many nightclubs in other areas which are still called discos here. Girlie bars Mango.

2 hours ago, Old55 said:

There were two acoustic guitar players who played late 60's and 70's soft rock that was fantastic. Depends what you like.

They like most places here have different bands every night so who knows what will be the flavor of the day. That place used to sometimes have more than one band during the night but dont know what they do these days.

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I'll definitely bear Moalboal in mind as an alternative if I can't find the forests

Although never been there  I know there are attractions like waterfalls ETC so not all beach stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Marine life is less interesting for me, but I'll definitely bear Moalboal in mind as an alternative if I can't find the forests 

Dang.  You ask for advice and don't listen.  Here is a pic I stole off the net of a guy renting a bike in Moalboal and finding the forest.  Now I'm done.

Moalboal.jpg

• Like 3

CG1 Blue
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Old55 said:

Majority of members are married and don't participate in Mango Square type of nightlife. This forum is G Rated so we don't get into those details anyway. There are several popular disco's and bars with live music suggest you YouTube to find a place that you could be interested in. I visited a sports bar called Howling Dogs with friends last year. There were two acoustic guitar players who played late 60's and 70's soft rock that was fantastic. Depends what you like.

I agree with Dave. Moalboal is great for scuba or snorkeling. Whale sharks is fun about three hours south of Cebu City. Go early if you want to view them. Any tropical jungle has been clear cut many years ago. Most wild life has been eaten. There are some lovely small affordable beach resorts found throughout Cebu and some very expensive ones too.

Very useful, thanks

CG1 Blue
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Up to you but nothing much happens till after 10pm so even if you stayed somewhere else by then traffic is OK. As for exciting nightlife depends on what you want but there are many nightclubs in other areas which are still called discos here. Girlie bars Mango.

They like most places here have different bands every night so who knows what will be the flavor of the day. That place used to sometimes have more than one band during the night but dont know what they do these days.

Although never been there  I know there are attractions like waterfalls ETC so not all beach stuff. 

Thank you, and yes I'm starting to look at the waterfalls.  I often find a decent amount of wildlife near waterfalls too. 

CG1 Blue
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Dang.  You ask for advice and don't listen.  Here is a pic I stole off the net of a guy renting a bike in Moalboal and finding the forest.  Now I'm done.

Moalboal.jpg

Sorry, I wasn't paying enough attention clearly!  I'll look into that  - thanks again 

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Never seen ANY land-based wildlife on Cebu. There aren't even any birds to speak of. Try Bohol or Palawan.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 2