Philippine Medical Tourism

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The Philippines is now ranked 8th in the world as a medical tourism destination.  The estimate is 250,000 foreign patients or clients each year.  Most recent compilation by the International Healthcare Research Center and Medical Tourism Association was done in 2015.  Most common procedures include:

* dentistry
* cosmetic surgery
* aesthetic surgery
* weight loss surgery
* rehabilitation
* stem cell therapy
* eye surgery and ophthalmology
* fertility treatment
* dermatology

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

The estimate is 250,000 foreign patients or clients each year.

Like tourist statistics, I wish that the Balikbayan (and they are counted as tourists) patients would be backed out of that number. IMHO the number is probably highly inflated just as the number of "tourists" that arrive each year is. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The Philippines is now ranked 8th in the world as a medical tourism destination.

I can believe it.  The Philippines is the medical destination of last resort for those with very little money who need medical treatment that they cannot afford at home.  But looking at it another way, there are 7 better countries to go if you can afford just a little more to get better quality treatment.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, scott h said:

Like tourist statistics, I wish that the Balikbayan (and they are counted as tourists) patients would be backed out of that number. IMHO the number is probably highly inflated just as the number of "tourists" that arrive each year is. 

While we have engaged in vision and dental tourism, next month is the first time for me for medical tourism.  Curious about the statistics, I tried researching the subject.  The problem is the Bureau of Immigration lumps everyone incoming who are not returning Philippine residents as "tourist" whether they are staying for 3 days or 4 years (college and university students).  There are no different categories that would make the data more meaningful.  You are correct that Balikbayans are probably counted as part of the medical tourism market. 

During my research, I came across as Investopedia article, "Retire in the Philippines with $200,000 of Savings?"  It turned out to be prepared by International Living and the premise is flawed.  The claim is $800 a month would last you 21 years and if living on $1,200 a month, the savings would be 14 years.  What about travel to your home country, overseas for a visa run, medical emergencies, inflation? 

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/031815/retire-philippines-200000-savings.asp#ixzz5Uqx1QCe5

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

And there was me under the impression that rich Filipinos went abroad for their medical procedures.:89:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

And there was me under the impression that rich Filipinos went abroad for their medical procedures.:89:

Yes I have read this many times and have Filipino friends who visit the States for procedures.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Old55 said:
7 hours ago, Gary D said:

Yes I have read this many times and have Filipino friends who visit the States for procedures.

Yes. Although the information is anecdotal, the preferred location seems to be University of Stanford Medical Center.  The reason could be the proximity of San Francisco and ease of travel. There are Philippine Airlines non-stop flights MNL to SFO.  Another is the abundance of friends and relatives within the area Fil-Am community.  Stanford is also a popular location for the training of Filipino doctors.  (Philippine based doctors would refer their patients to colleagues in the United States.)  The top 7 medical tourism destinations are:

1. Mexico
2. Singapore
3. India
4. Thailand
5. Malaysia
6. Brazil
7. Turkey

If you take I-8 from Phoenix or Tucson to San Diego, there are numerous billboards advertising dental services on the Mexican side of the border. Several friends have done it.  You drive to the US side of the border.  There are cars to meet you so no need for Mexican insurance for your vehicle plus a potential search by US Border Patrol.  After the service, the cars drive the patients/clients back to the USA.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Thanks 1