Duterte approves franchise for Villar telecom firm

TimL
Posted
Posted

THE Villar family is entering the telecommunications industry through Streamtech Systems Technologies Incorporated, which has been granted a 25-year congressional franchise.

President Rodrigo Duterte on October 18 signed into law Republic Act (RA) 11089, which provides Streamtech the franchise to "construct, install, establish, operate, and maintain telecommunications systems throughout the Philippines."

The family of businessman Manuel Villar, a former Senate president, is engaged primarily in real estate development.

Through Streamtech, Villar would be challenging the duopoly of Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. and Globe Telecom.

Streamtech needed to secure from the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) a certificate of public convenience and necessity, as well as other appropriate permits and licenses for the construction, installation, and operation of its telecommunication facilities.

"In issuing the certificate, the NTC shall have the power to impose such conditions relative to the construction, operation, maintenance, or service level of the telecommunications systems. The grantee shall not use any frequency in the radio spectrum without authorization from the NTC," the newly-signed law read.

"Such certificate shall state the areas covered and the date the granteee shall commence the service. The NTC, however, shall not unreasonably withhold or delay the grant of such authority, permit, or license," it added.

The law directs Streamtech to improve and extend services in hazard- and typhoon-prone areas that would be determined by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, in coordination with the NTC.

The 25-year franchise would be deemed ipso facto revoked if Streamtech fails to commence operations within one year from the approval of its operating permit by the NTC, begin operations within three years from the effectivity of RA 11089, and operate continuously for two years.

The grantee was also mandated to submit an annual report to Congress, through Senate public services committee and House legislative franchises committee.

Streamtech Systems Technologies would pay a fine of P1 million, if they fail to submit the requisite annual report to Congress.

Meanwhile, the President, through Republic Act 11099, renewed for another 25 years the franchise granted to Notre Dame Broadcasting Corporation. (SunStar Philippines)

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/duterte-approves-franchise-villar-telecom-102600292.html

• Thanks 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

So, some long-overdue competition coming up, if all goes to plan. :smile:

TimL
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, graham59 said:

So, some long-overdue competition coming up, if all goes to plan. :smile:

Big “if”.  Judging by the comments at the end of the article, it seems that this will just be business as usual around here.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, graham59 said:

if all goes to plan. :smile:

IF :hystery:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, TimL said:

just be business as usual around here.

I am afraid you are probably right. I was really hoping that a foreign owned outfit would win and put some heat on the other providers. Putting on my pessimistic glasses here, the Villar family owns huge amounts of land in my area. They got very rich by zoning and rezoning areas. I hope I am wrong, but right now I don't see this new company coming in with innovations and new ideas that force PLDT and Globe to modernize. Just a 3rd choice of mediocrity. 

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

There is a story on the media here which they state that globe is something like 47% owned by a company in Singapore which they say is against the constitution.As this has been going on I would not hold my breath that any local (new) company would be any different than the 2 main players.

• Like 2

marine6357
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, scott h said:

. I was really hoping that a foreign owned outfit would win and put some heat on the other providers.

Yes me too was hoping for someone Like Verizon or ATT or even Carlos Slim of Mexico. Verizon is now rolling out 5g here in the states and investing a small fortune in it. In a statement from the company they have said "In our 5G trials, we achieved download speeds roughly 30-50 times faster than what is possible with 4G." and  "should expect typical network speeds around 300 Mbps and, depending on location, peak speeds of nearly 1 Gbps, with no data caps." In short, Verizon 5G Home customers should typically expect extremely fast internet speeds. Now wouldn't that be something?

Sorry but wanted to have full disclosure here I am retired from Verizon but do not have any financial interest with them anymore I own no stocks or bonds in them and I took a pension buyout from them so no vested interest. 

Edited by marine6357
clarification so as not to break any rules
  • Like 3

marine6357
Posted
Posted

Here is a link to the technology if interested.

https://mashable.com/2017/11/30/verizon-5g-home-internet-2018/#lr5AZoew0qqM

• Thanks 1

Ryan.
Posted
Posted

Approving a politically connected company just taking a stab at trying something new regarding a monumentally important infastructure issue. You could write a 400 page book that would not capture the mentality of the Philippines any better.

graham59
Posted
Posted

...And then there is the soon to be completed 'High Speed Train' running from Manila to Clark in Pampanga. :smile:

Oh sorry, that was 20 years ago. :huh:

• Like 2