Police charge ‘gun-for-hire’ for murder of Australian in Ilocos Sur

TimL
Posted
Posted (edited)

Police have filed a murder charge against “a known gun-for-hire” following the shooting of Australian Reginald Hodgens in Ilocos Sur.

Mr Hodgens was shot dead outside his rented home in the town of Sinait on the evening of October 15.

PLN has been contacted by the 70-year-old victim’s brother, Ronald, who forwarded information from official sources about the ongoing investigation into the killing.

The statement says that local police “filed a case of murder” against a suspect on October 19.

The man, described as “a known gun-for-hire” was identified by a 10-year-old boy who had been playing near the victim’s house at the time of the killing.

The boy told police that he had approached the man, who then scared him away by revealing his gun.

The child ran home and told his father what had happened, but was not believed. At that point a shot rang out, confirming the boy’s story.

The boy was later able to identify the alleged killer from among a “rogue’s gallery” series of photographs.

The statement also said it was likely the gun-for-hire was acting on instructions from a third party, as he had no known connection with Mr Hodgens.

We have also been contacted by a friend of Mr Hodgens, who shed some light on a possible motive for a contract killing. Previously, police investigators had said that the victim moved to Sinait after “filing a case against a Filipino”.

The friend said that he had visited Mr Hodgens a few months ago in Sabang. He said that he [Mr Hodgens] was then in the process of moving out of his rented house due to “problems with his landlord”. He also said that he had a black eye that was sustained “when the landlord tried to kick him out”. 

However, he added: “Not sure whether this has any relation to the case at all, or to the case he had filed against someone.”

Investigations into the murder continue and the suspect has until Monday, October 29, to file a counter affidavit.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Removed link from a not allowed source
  • Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

I wonder how much the child's family will be offered to 'forget' their testimony. 

Have any of these expat murders EVER been successfully prosecuted  ?  

Edited by graham59
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, TimL said:

The child ran home and told his father what had happened, but was not believed

And yet, if he had run home late from school and told his father he had been kidnapped by foreigners in a white van but managed to escape to get home in time for dinner, the whole barangay would believe him.

• Like 4

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, graham59 said:

Have any of these expat murders EVER been successfully prosecuted  ?  

Not that I know of. I have in-laws in the Cebu police. I asked them about this and they said prosecutions happen but don't get into the news media. Don't know if I believe that.

Here's an idea: let's all chip in to hire a lawyer or private investigator to gather some facts. If there's some support here I'll ask the management about starting a fund-raising thread.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

Here's an idea: let's all chip in to hire a lawyer or private investigator to gather some facts. If there's some support here I'll ask the management about starting a fund-raising thread.

Great, you fund it and I will comment occasionally  :thumbsup:

• Haha 5

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

If there's no justice in this world, I sure hope there is in the next :56da64a413b01_3_12_311:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I actually would like to know exactly what is the function of the police.They don`t seem to do a lot and I don`t see any after dark.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Here is an idea why don`t you set up a fund on here for members for future use it could include help with medical bills for those who pay in.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

what is the function of the police

That's a very good question, and probably could be its own topic. From my observation and through asking questions (though because of language problems I might not have gotten the whole picture) it seems to be a muddled mess at times. It seems to me that the PNP (national police force) function a lot like sheriffs departments do in the states. In the states if a  city is to small to effectively field a police department, they contract with the county sheriffs department for law enforcement services. Not an exact parallel but a good example. Our city has a police department but they are manned by PNP officers. Then there are other "law enforcement" folks like barangay watch men and traffic enforcers, none that I have seen are armed nor have the power of arrest. 

My favorite personal example: I got to talking to two young police officers whos station was at a busy intersection. (like in the states they were hanging out in a 7-11). In about a 5 min span I pointed out 10 traffic violation, everything from counter flow to illegal parking. I asked them (and you must realize we were having a good time, they were nice young men) why they didn't do anything. They said they were not issued situation books :571c66d400c8c_1(103):. Across the street is the HQ for all the local traffic enforcers, a couple enforcers where sitting in the shade. So I pointed to them and asked if they were in charge of them? If they had supervisory authority. They said yes! We are PNP. I smiled and said "well, go tell them to enforce the law!" They sheepishly grinned and said that had not been told to do so...……..besides the enforcers were all the age of their fathers and grandfathers, it didn't seem right to boss them around! :facepalm_80_anim_gif:.

I finally asked them what their exact duties were. They said "show of authority" and "prevent crime" (safest 7-11 in Paranaque :hystery:)

So what is the function of the police? It is my opinion except for anti drug guys, its pretty much to wait for criminals to do something in their presence lololol. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, scott h said:

its pretty much to wait for criminals to do something in their presence lololol. 

Seen this happen and they still did nothing, excuse, no one complained  :89:

• Sad 1