USN-USMC Anniversary (243 years)

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for posting Jake. It was always a head turner at airshows. Not only the sound but the vibration of it reverberating around the airfield. Sadly no longer flying , its last flight was in October 2015 after Airbus, who I believe held the airworthiness approvals for the type, withdrew support for the aircraft. 

If you like a darned good read I can thoroughly recommend 'Vulcan 607' by Rowland White about the attack on the runway at Port Stanley during the Falklands war. Codenamed 'Operation Black Buck'.

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The US Navy Blue Angels use to perform in Honolulu.  Their flyby and maneuvers were from Magic Island to Waikiki Beach. It was fun watching the planes less than 1,000 above the ocean.  I have also seen them perform while visiting our son in La Jolla.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Jake said:

I was googling videos of the US Navy Blue Angels as I celebrate another birthday for the US Navy and US Marine Corp.  Of course, they are all extraordinary -- not the machine but the brave men and women operating these beautiful war machines.  One video caught my eye, to the point where I had to hit replay several times.  You RAF flyboys were the first ones to design sex in your sexy airframes:

https://youtu.be/sh-9uZjg1Tg  I salute you Jack P.  As they say in SoCal.....hey, nice ride Bra! 

Agree, magnificent aircraft. I still recall seeing it back in the late 70’s (along with the Blue Angels) at air show held on Memorial Day weekend at McGuire Air Force base (in New Jersey). And I can also still recall how the ground vibrated when it passed over the airfield and suddenly went almost vertical. It was like being near Cape Canaveral when a rocket was launched, just incredible! 

If you enjoyed that clip you might enjoy the documentary made about the last ever flight of the Vulcan. Farewell tour over Britain, done by Guy Martin. I watched it on Netflix. Very interesting look into the machine and the men who flew it. Sad to see her go.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5256700/

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

One of the bonuses that I used to get  when I lives on my small farm in Lincolnshire was the Lancaster flying overhead,  on the day that Kate and William got married , I went outside after the fly past by the battle of Britain memorial flight and stood in my paddock , it was not long before the old girl came over ,she flew past me ,and when the crew spotted me standing there with my camera , they turned around flew past again and dipped their wings and gave me a wave ,she must have been about 200ft height

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, bastonjock said:

when the crew spotted me standing there with my camera , they turned around flew past again and dipped their wings and gave me a wave ,she must have been about 200ft height

:89: Camera in hand but No photos for us to enjoy the moment with you. :whistling:

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: Camera in hand but No photos for us to enjoy the moment with you. :whistling:

FB_IMG_1540879554183.jpgthese are all I could find , the mast is from my boat  parked in my paddock lol

FB_IMG_1540879594881.jpg

FB_IMG_1540879577765.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

One of the best experience that i had regarding iconic aircraft was a an open air music venue ,it was mostky modern classical stuff , the band started to play the theme tune from the battle of britain movie  and a spitfire flew out if the clouds and did a barrel roll , to a magnificent roar of aproval from the crowd

Back on to the aircraft of the USA, i was sitting at anchor and as the sun was setting it was a beautifull blue horizon being tainted by the fading sun 

Two F16,s flew into view at a low altitude and ran a practice bombing run at the witham range ,as they completed their manoeuvre and turn to display they red hot silhouette of their engines with rings of fire , i groaned as my camera and long Lenz was down below

I often wonder if the pilots know that they are pretend bombing the route that the pilgrim fathers took to Plymouth 

• Like 1