Expat IT Jobs

Akameriadoc
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

I just discovered this site and was hoping I might be able to get some advice. I've recently become interested in working overseas and the Philippines is near the top of my list. I believe I have the experience necessary to make the transition, but just not sure where to look.

A little about me, I have a masters degree in Information Systems and have been working for the past 4 years as an Infrastructure Architect/Tech Lead for one of the larger semiconductor manufactures. During this time I've been through one almost two large mergers.

Some of my responsibilities are:

• Managing our third party service provider
  • Overseeing multiple regional data centers
  • Performing Security Audits
  • Assisting with architecting new solutions and designs
  • Designing procedures, process and workflows to be implemented within ServiceNow
  • LifeCycle managment
  • Vendor Management
  • etc

Any information, advice, thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum.

There are jobs for skilled people in the Philippines but I sincerely doubt you will get a lead through this forum.  Encouragement, discouragement, advice and thoughts we have plenty of.  They are worth about the price of entry to this forum :hystery:

Best of luck from an old retired guy.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Start with American corporation who have a business presence in the Philippines.  Mention your willingness to relocate.  Your salary and benefits would be similar to other expats.  If you contact the corporations and subsidiaries through their Philippine offices, your pay will be about one tenth.

Another group to contact are American companies who have contracts with the US military and aid granting civilian administrations.  Philippines is considered a hardship post so they encounter difficulties recruiting personnel willing to go on an overseas assignment.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum. :tiphat: Employment questions similar to yours are fairly common here. Dave and JJ covered the answer.

Is there is any way you could do this type of work online while living here in Philippines? There are a number of IT folks living here able to remote work online. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Akameriadoc said:

I just discovered this site

Welcome.jpg :thumbsup:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Additional Notes:

If you resume includes Cyber Security, place this information on top of the page.  There is a huge shortage all over Asia for this unique, highly technical skill.  It's the same in the United States.  The hiring for Asia posts is through recruitment agencies in Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo.  

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

I get the Philippine STAR Newspaper delivered to the house daily. Every few days there is an insert from The Department of Labor and Employment announcing Companies and the Foreigners name who applied for Alien Employment Permits.

Jobs are supposed to go to Philippine Citizens but I sometime wonder. An example, on pages 1, 2, 7, 12, Koreans are applying for a permit as a Hairstylist when there are many Filipinos who can fill those positions.  http://ncr.dole.gov.ph/fndr/mis/files/jul_15-pu.pdf

I occasionally see U.S. Companies/U.S. Citizens listed for IT Jobs. Perhaps you could search for that list on DOLE's website that is published frequently and see which Foreign companies are seeking employment permits for IT jobs and contact them . https://www.dole.gov.ph/

Edited by Rooster

earthdome
Posted
Posted

There are a growing number of people who are becoming digital nomad's. Their work is done over the internet and they travel the world just making sure they can get a good internet connection when needed to complete their online work. You might search for digital nomad opportunities.