Manila Airport: Catch a taxi at the departure level when arriving?

KurtVD
Posted
Posted

This is only my fourth time to arrive at MNL airport after a long flight, and every time before there was a long waiting time to get a taxi at the arrival level. Is it possible, and advisable, to get to the departure level upon arrival, and catch one of the arriving taxis there? They’re more than willing to leave the airport with a paying customer, rather than empty, and to avoid the fee at the official queue. 

I’ve done that in Bangkok many times and never had any problems (and always immediately got a taxi).

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The answer is, "Yes and No." It is probably cheaper and faster to look for a taxi at the departure area. Probably illegal, but chances are they won't stop you. If security questions, just say, "My departure is delayed. I am going back to the hotel." The problem is dishonest drivers and colorum or illegals. They are known as gypsies in countries like Italy. Taxis at the arrival section are more expensive, but they are carefully monitored to prevent pulling a fast one on visitors. A slip of paper with information will be given to you as you board the taxi. If there is a problem such as overcharging or missing luggage (i.e., step down and the taxi takes off with your luggage still in the trunk), there is potential recourse. Never take the hotel limo service. Decided the wait was too long for a cab. I got charged $60 for taking one to the Manila Peninsula.

• Like 1

KC813
Posted
Posted

I have watched people try it at terminals 1 & 3.  No luck for them - kept getting shooed away by the guards and police, and if a drive does talk to you, they get sometimes yelled at by the other drivers!  And what JJReyes notes, the cabs in the departure area are just random taxis off the street, which raises concerns for some people. 

Choice of taxis really depends on your comfort level and pocketbook.  If you want to cut the lines, but pay big bucks, take the 'coupon' (white/blue) taxis talked about above.  For most people, the airport taxis (yellow) are a good compromise.  Safe, controlled and metered, but the down side is the long line and cost about 50% more than the regular street taxis.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Grab is another option.

• Like 2

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Grab is another option.

Thanks! I was wondering if they’re allowed to come to the airport to pick up customers, that’s probably the safest and fastest solution. 

virginprune
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, KurtVD said:

Thanks! I was wondering if they’re allowed to come to the airport to pick up customers, that’s probably the safest and fastest solution. 

I used Grab earlier this year, less than 10 minute wait and much cheaper.

canadamale
Posted
Posted (edited)

I try to avoid the metered cabs { TO EXPENSIVE} I walk to the regular cab kiosk. Usually less then a 5 min wait from terminal one. like a previous poster says, you will get a slip of paper for any recourse if needed. Remember to make sure the meter is started and  if they may request you  to pay flat fee. if you say no. Only the meter rate. They may grumble but they know it is the law and will accept. If you do take a yellow {metered cab} the same applies. They will also request a flat rate to Makati usually 1000 to 1500 piso.The flat rate for a regular cab to Makiti is usually 500 piso. Tell the driver, meter only. From terminal one to my condo on Makati ave usual fee is 120 to 190 piso depending on driver and traffic

Edited by canadamale

bows00
Posted
Posted

I've never had a problem with metered cabs just outside of the Terminal 2 arrival area.  I always plan it so that I arrive on a Sunday to avoid the dreaded Manila traffic.  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, bows00 said:

I always plan it so that I arrive on a Sunday to avoid the dreaded Manila traffic.  

:89: Is it really any Better on a Sunday? Here in Dumaguete it seems always the same no matter what time of day or the day even :rolleyes:

KurtVD
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, virginprune said:

I used Grab earlier this year, less than 10 minute wait and much cheaper.

I’m sitting in a Grab car right now, about 10 minutes wait just as you said :)

• Like 2