Halloween period, Something I just can't get used to

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:571c66d400c8c_1(103): So here we are the dreaded day/weekend so to speak ( For me anyway) Sorry if this offends anyone but I really see this traipsing around Graveyards treading all over graves and having a Picnic to boot as disrespectful of our/their passed loved ones. I don't go and although it can cause a problem within the family I remain firm and prefer to respect those passed in my own way. I post the usual Photocall ( when done) just so people who think like me can understand my feelings.

It is not my custom and is not in my culture but I do respect that it is the Philipino ( & other Latin-based Catholic Cultures) but am afraid they must do it without me.

I have not posted to start a war of words, Just my thoughts yet, I am pretty sure there are many members that think my way I do Hope that it does not get like Christmas and get commercialized but I won't hold my breath on that :mellow:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mick
Posted
Posted

I'm with you, I have the same conversations with her indoors, but she does understand, I don't even go to funerals, or the many meals after, 7 days 40 days or what ever it is, for me remember them as they were in your own way. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Seems a little strange to me that people who are so superstitious and scared of all sorts of ghosts spend a day in the graveyard.

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Me and the Mrs... and our youngster... and our niece, spent a pleasant hour or so in our local cemetery this morning, lighting candles for her father and other relatives.  It's maybe not what we're accustomed to back home, but what's an hour of respectful acceptance of one's partner's culture ?  They give so much back to us moaning old farts, with tolerance and good humour . 

I enjoy experiencing the Filipino culture, though eating balut would be a step too far.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This topic reminds me of something that is on my mind.

When I first arrived in Philippines, Halloween dress up and parties were rare indeed.  Now the Philippine TV shows and Malls are embracing the concept of dressing up in costumes and having a party atmosphere.

During that same period, Halloween in Canada has faded.  I asked my daughter what my grandkids are doing for Halloween and she said they just cut some pumpkins and put them in the window because "there are too many different religions and cultures in Edmonton now so the schools don't let the kids dress up and going out trick or treating is just not the same as it was a few years back".

See what happens when people move to a new country and try to change it to be like their own?  Conclusion:  Let the Filipinos do their own cultural thing and just stay out of the way and smile.  I did not come here to change them and I wish people who moved to Canada felt the same way.

(Here is where I would make a comment about the friggin "politically correct" nature of the Liberal government in Canada but I shall refrain).  Let's just say I would rather be in my quiet, Philippine house while the neighbors are partying at the graveyard.  I don't want to join it, but I also do not want to ruin their good time.  Let them fly at it.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, graham59 said:

but what's an hour of respectful acceptance of one's partner's culture ? 

Nothing and I am glad you enjoyed the experience BUT try that with an extended family of some 100 :89: and in my case, it  happens 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Let's just say I would rather be in my quiet, Philippine house while the neighbors are partying at the graveyard. 

Exactly :wink: 

graham59
Posted
Posted

Only 100 ? lol  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Only 100 ? lol  :biggrin:

So far but it is early yet :wink:

Robi
Posted
Posted

Halloween gives the criminal element  a true facade,...."Could you please try to describe the perpetrator mam?"