Halloween period, Something I just can't get used to

marine6357
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, graham59 said:

I enjoy experiencing the Filipino culture, though eating balut would be a step too far.

I agree 100% with you on this I loved experiencing the culture when I was there. But no way in hell was I trying balut.

philippines 365.jpg

Edited by marine6357

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Halloween huh ? Should at least be given it's proper name " samhain " , I'll not go to deeply into Celtic folklore,  but samhain is the start of the Celtic new year , now Celts are the ancient people's of Europe, these days it normally associated as being Scottish ,Irish , Welsh , Cornish or north Breton .

Well we were quite happy with Samhain , and yea we used to go guising until Christianity came along , they cancelled samhain and gave us all souls instead , neck they even ruined the winter solstice and called it Christmas ( THEY MOVED THE solstice and feast if mirthas together and called it Christmas)

The all souls day is not celebrated in the UK , I think that it's because it's seen as a Catholic tradition 

I do not intend to offend anyone with this post :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Halloween huh ? Should at least be given it's proper name " samhain " , I'll not go to deeply into Celtic folklore,  but samhain is the start of the Celtic new year , now Celts are the ancient people's of Europe, these days it normally associated as being Scottish ,Irish , Welsh , Cornish or north Breton .

Well we were quite happy with Samhain , and yea we used to go guising until Christianity came along , they cancelled samhain and gave us all souls instead , neck they even ruined the winter solstice and called it Christmas ( THEY MOVED THE solstice and feast if mirthas together and called it Christmas)

The all souls day is not celebrated in the UK , I think that it's because it's seen as a Catholic tradition 

I do not intend to offend anyone with this post :thumbsup:

And don't forget Easter, they stole that as well.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Gary D said:

And don't forget Easter, they stole that as well.

The one that in really miss is the summer solstice , all that booze and naked women :7500:

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

The local basketball court had a disco last,what suprised me was that they were actually playing disco music and not boom boom crap.I nearly got my platform shoes and flared trousers out and joined them.

Did you have your Kipper tie on as well ? And the shirt with the big collars on them 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/1/2018 at 12:07 PM, Jack Peterson said:

:571c66d400c8c_1(103): So here we are the dreaded day/weekend so to speak ( For me anyway) Sorry if this offends anyone but I really see this traipsing around Graveyards treading all over graves and having a Picnic to boot as disrespectful of our/their passed loved ones. I don't go and although it can cause a problem within the family I remain firm and prefer to respect those passed in my own way. I post the usual Photocall ( when done) just so people who think like me can understand my feelings.

It is not my custom and is not in my culture but I do respect that it is the Philipino ( & other Latin-based Catholic Cultures) but am afraid they must do it without me.

I have not posted to start a war of words, Just my thoughts yet, I am pretty sure there are many members that think my way I do Hope that it does not get like Christmas and get commercialized but I won't hold my breath on that :mellow:

Your topic should be All Souls Day, not Halloween.  Two different things / days.

Not a fan of All Souls Day traditions but kids have fun with the Halloween tradition that has various forms.  My kids celebrated Halloween at Disneyland Hong Kong this year and they go all out for Halloween there.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Did you have your Kipper tie on as well ? And the shirt with the big collars on them 

No Dave Houndriver borrowed them

• Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

No Dave Houndriver borrowed them

Sorry Kev, lost them years ago.  Dunno who this guy is but it could have been me going to the disco in the 70s

70s.jpg  Come to think of it.  If I still had those clothes they would make a nice Halloween costume.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Your topic should be All Souls Day, not Halloween.  Two different things / days.

homer-doh.jpg You may want to note that I titled it Halloween Period and that is what our beloved people here think it is, long gone has the day of Respect as I am sure you will Agree. All this is just another reason to Jolly the time away, maybe, I will be off now and help the Cemetary people to clean up the enormous amount of Rubbish and Debris left there, which reminds me of the After a POP concert venue and not a place of Tranquility and letting those people RIP something will not do for a few days. Homer out of Here..jpg Catch you all later :thumbsup:

• Like 3