Halloween period, Something I just can't get used to

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

homer-doh.jpg You may want to note that I titled it Halloween Period and that is what our beloved people here think it is, long gone has the day of Respect as I am sure you will Agree. All this is just another reason to Jolly the time away, maybe, I will be off now and help the Cemetary people to clean up the enormous amount of Rubbish and Debris left there, which reminds me of the After a POP concert venue and not a place of Tranquility and letting those people RIP something will not do for a few days. Homer out of Here..jpg Catch you all later :thumbsup:

It may be different in different areas.  My only experience is in Baguio where my wife's parent's are buried.  I went to the cemetery on All Souls Day once, a few years back.  Although certainly flooded with people, I didn't see a lot of disrespect and that particular cemetery hires extra people to help keep things clean.  If I recall correctly, only a few picnics.  My wife's family goes for maybe 15 minutes to pay respects.

Part of the problem is that the cemetery's are so crowded to begin with.  If people live in the area, my opinion is that they could pay respects on any day, but of course most want to follow tradition.

Edit:  And in Baguio, I don't recall every seeing anything about Western Halloween.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

but of course most want to follow tradition.

:89:  And start a new one that has riled me,  lets here the hoorays for this bit of S..t Advertising for your Services to the Younger set

Coofin Crap.jpg ME, just not impressed at all :sad:

• Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

This will be I am sure my last Comment. The most respectful day of the year for our past ones is nothing more than an Eating Fesital for the Living ;

Holoween party.jpg My extended Family ( well a few) now for me,  I will bemoving on.png

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

No wish to comment on a few remarks here, but for the record.

31st October Halloween night......(certainly not encourage by the churches in UK)

1st November All Saints Day

2nd November All Souls day.........

All Saint's day in the church is what they call a day of obligation and All Soul's is not, although services are held each day.

I don't agree with children trick and treating for my own personal reasons

Also let's not forget some poor people in and around Manila live in the cemetery's!

Different Culture, different way of life (In some cases survival)

Hope that clarifies any misunderstandings regards JB

Edited by Kuya John
To clarify Churches stance on Halloween
  • Like 3

canadamale
Posted
Posted

at my place the gf put up a plate of food, lit a candle and we stayed home. the inlaws went to the cemetery and did there thing. No Halloween celebrations. here.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Kuya John said:

certainly not encourage by the churches in UK

I doubt you can speak for all the churches in UK, but perhaps you mean the Church of England?  Anyway, Halloween would not catch on there as it is too close to Guy Fawkes day where the kids are begging for money.  Or do the still do that?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I doubt you can speak for all the churches in UK, but perhaps you mean the Church of England?  Anyway, Halloween would not catch on there as it is too close to Guy Fawkes day where the kids are begging for money.  Or do the still do that?

Halloween is certainly celebrated in the UK - I can confirm that based on many years of hiding behind the sofa with the lights out because my candy/sweet supply had ran out! Our school also had events to celebrate. Yes, it's close to Guy Fawkes but that's purely coincidental - both nights are celebrated in totally different ways.

Personally, I'm all for it here. My son had a great time trick or treating and dressing up within our community - all well organised and great to see 100+ kids having a ball - what's not to like? Only households displaying a pumpkin were 'disturbed' so no issue there.

I don't think All Souls Day and Halloween have any connection - purely coincidental they are together? I don't participate in the family event because It's not convenient due to me working, but if I'm free I join just to show my respect but it has no meaning for me.i understand others have different ideas and I'm onboard with that too. I'm all for live and let live as long as it doesn't disturb me and mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Dave,

Without violating  the house rules........In today's society we refer Halloween as a trick or treat thing, there is a more sinister

side in earlier times which all denomination's as far as I am aware are cautious about.

As a boy we referred to the same night as "Duck Apple Night" party games without the Ghoulish side of things.

Halloween has certainly caught on here Dave, with all the costumes etc, but it is not considered safe for Kids to go knocking on doors any more and you don't see so many kids on street corners asking "Penny for the Guy"

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1