Hong Kong Disneyland Trip

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We visited a few years ago and it was a good day out. The only thing I struggled with was all the chinese faces on the Disney princesses.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Nice photos. The children look like they are having lots of fun. It's the parents you worry about. Can they survive the trip and all the excitement while preparing for it. Worse, the incessant question after, "When are we going back?"

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

My son was born in Hong Kong, we left when he was about 2 1/2,  We didn't take him to HK Disneyland as we though he'd be too young to enjoy much.  He has no memory of anything from that time so probably was a good call.  

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

He has no memory of anything from that time so probably was a good call.  

:whistling: Yep! Until he learns to read over your shoulder and sees these things. :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, hk blues said:

My son was born in Hong Kong, we left when he was about 2 1/2,  We didn't take him to HK Disneyland as we though he'd be too young to enjoy much.  He has no memory of anything from that time so probably was a good call.  

It depends on the child.  Our youngest went to Disney California when she was one, and of course that is too young to enjoy it.  Now at almost 2.5, she was knew Mickey Mouse from cartoons and was ready to enjoy, and she did.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

It depends on the child.  Our youngest went to Disney California when she was one, and of course that is too young to enjoy it.  Now at almost 2.5, she was knew Mickey Mouse from cartoons and was ready to enjoy, and she did.

I guess I really meant enjoy the experience in the sense of remembering rather than enjoying the moment - I'm sure most 2+ kids will enjoy it at the time. 

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

We spent a week in HK in early Oct. with one day at Disneyland HK. Our daughter at 8 months old won't remember it and was really to young to enjoy it much. She would have enjoyed the "Its a small world" ride except that she slept through it. Regardless the adults still enjoyed the visit. Took my FIL on the Space Mountain roller coaster. He had never been on a roller coaster and enjoyed it. The afternoon was very hot. Might be better to schedule this trip for winter months so it is a bit cooler.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I was watching Philippine TV (well Lynne was and I had one eye on it) and it seems the Philippine Celebrities take their kids to Japan Disneyland rather than Hong Kong Disneyland.  Is the one in Japan that much better?  Or is it just another one of these status things where the richer you are the more you want to spend on your vacation?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was watching Philippine TV (well Lynne was and I had one eye on it) and it seems the Philippine Celebrities take their kids to Japan Disneyland rather than Hong Kong Disneyland.  Is the one in Japan that much better?  Or is it just another one of these status things where the richer you are the more you want to spend on your vacation?

You got me curious and here is one guy's opinion:

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/disney-parks-power-rankings-2018/

I didn't know there are two Disney parks in Tokyo now, and they are ranked 1 and 2!  Our neighbors are going there at Christmas.

You reminded me that I made a huge omission from my trip report!  While at HKG Disney, I passed a group that had professional looking photographers / videographers with them, and I made a slight stroller detour so I would not get in the way of their shots.  I got a bit ahead of my wife and 14 yo daughter, and stopped to wait.  The 14 yo runs up, very excited, and said "Did you see who that was!!".  No, I didn't notice.  "It was Vice Ganda!!!".  That was her highlight of the trip, seeing Vice Ganda!

Me, not so thrilled.  I don't pay much attention to any celebrities, and certainly not that one.  Maybe if it would have been Megan Young giving out free kisses?  I would have needed to get permission!

Hing Kong Disney was full of Filipinos, and it is a fairly expensive trip, so obviously there are quite a few Filipinos with expendable cash.  We know another Filipino couple going at Christmas when it will be even more expensive than now.

Edited by OnMyWay