Bribing your way to the front of a line.

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

My wife and I decided to get out of town for the weekend, so we hopped the bus from cebu to siquijor for the weekend. Had a great time. On the way back we were at the bus station with all the people heading back home. I forgot it was a 4 day weekend, will not make that mistake again. As you can imagine it was very crowded and hot as hell. There was a line for the bus going to cebu and we missed  the 1130 am and had to wait for the one at 2pm. No problem, 20 years in the navy made me a professional at standing in lines.. After waiting 3 hours in the line that was getting longer by the minute a gentleman set up a table and started to sell tickets for 2pm bus. I thought great my wife and I are number 8 in line so no problem..... well I was wrong, you see the reason he set up the table and started to sell tickets was to get bribes. The porters were bringing people to the front of the line to get tickets. You could tell everyone who got on the bus were well off, Including a few expac's who were way behind me in line. It was like watching the titanic go down. We got out on the next bus because my wife and a few other woman in the front of the line put the fear of God into the ticket  salesperson. For me not getting on the bus was no big deal. I'm retired,  have the money to stay in a hotel, but jumping in line in front of women traveling with kids and people who work is just wrong. Well I'll get off my soap box now. It's time for a beer....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Greyhound in Canada used the same system.  For an extra $5 you could reserve a seat and get on first.  It is capitalism at its finest.  On holiday weekends it was well worth the few extra bucks as you may end up waiting for a second or third bus once the first one is full and has left.  In Canada, the company got the money.  I do not know for sure who got the money in the situation you describe but its seems the company would surely consider it their money if receipts were given out.  If no receipts then Ceres is pretty strict with "watchers" who get on and off the busses and check for this kind of thing.

They do a similar thing on a regular basis on the Liloan-Santander to Cebu South Bus run.  Those who come off the ferry with seat reservation numbers (which are free) get on the bus first.  Only then do the people waiting in line get any left over seats.

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

I'm all for capitalism. The bus company got there 280p for the ticket. The person who was selling the tickets worked for ceres. He was taking bribes to "get a ticket".

graham59
Posted
Posted

Philippines 'culture' in action... sadly.

Nothing new either, of course. 

richpoorman.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, gbmmbg said:

I'm all for capitalism. The bus company got there 280p for the ticket. The person who was selling the tickets worked for ceres. He was taking bribes to "get a ticket".

I didn't know whether to put a laugh or not, but you got one. No-one would dare do it to the wife, even the ticket seller, I don't think they would be able to put up with her mouth for that long. The tongue can wag if she is upset, just ask me. :hystery:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

In todays Tribune there was an article about how Filipinos are getting mad at rich Chinese tourist. Seems the tourists line cut at tourist destinations and in the malls. Pot and the Kettle? :hystery:

• Haha 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Mick
Posted
Posted

Must admit I did it in NNIA, was late for a flight, well not late 2 hours before but after 1 hour hardly moved, so clear I was never going to check in in time, so asked the porter if I could check in at the Senior Citizen desk (I'm only 51) and I gave him 200 peso, he went and asked, and came back and told me go to the desk and put 500 peso in your passport..... Which I did and with some very good slight of hand, the lady took the cash, and checked me in

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

They do a similar thing on a regular basis on the Liloan-Santander to Cebu South Bus run.  Those who come off the ferry with seat reservation numbers (which are free) get on the bus first.  Only then do the people waiting in line get any left over seats.

That is true except when it is extremely busy and then it`s pot luck.I have twice had a ticket and the first bus was full so I had to sit on the bus in the carpark and wait for the next ferry for that bus to be filled before we left.They just want to make the terminal empty for the passengers who are yet to board.I have never been asked to pay extra though.

Viking
Posted
Posted

I have also experienced things like this on many times. Depending on my mood and the situation, I let it go or I say something. Surprisingly, almost all of the time they step back when being told to do so. I have also noticed that once you say something you get support from from the other people standing in line.

I think it is different if you are in a situation like Mick told us about above, then it is ok to me, unless I am also late for my flight :biggrin:

• Like 1